full clutch pedal travel

I have a 1968 mustang manual

4 speed the clutch pedal doesn't have full engagement (aka it slipps when high torque is used) we adjusted the clutch pedal so at full depression the clutch is slightly disengaged about 1/4 gap beetween connecting rod and the clutch cup however once depressed the clutch pedal doesn't return to the origional location the return spring is not fully retracting the pedal. I know this because if I stick my foot under the pedal and pull up while moving it fully engages.

If anyone has any sugustions or fixes these would be greatly apreciated.

Paul Breed

Reply to
nospam

I have a 1968 mustang manual

4 speed the clutch pedal doesn't have full engagement (aka it slipps when high torque is used) we adjusted the clutch pedal so at full depression the clutch is slightly disengaged about 1/4 gap beetween connecting rod and the clutch cup however once depressed the clutch pedal doesn't return to the origional location the return spring is not fully retracting the pedal. I know this because if I stick my foot under the pedal and pull up while moving it fully engages.

If anyone has any sugustions or fixes these would be greatly apreciated.

Paul Breed

Reply to
nospam

A return spring under the hood may be broken/missing. It's a light duty spring that goes from the fire wall to the clutch linkage near the master cylinder. I am generalizing from other fords of the era, I assume the '68 4speed would be the similar in this respect as it is similar in many others. I had this happen in a '75 maverick I had, push the pedal, works fine, doesn't come back up unless pushed.

THe ford spec I've always seen is a half inch of free play at the pedal. The clutch slipping you have is a different issue.

Reply to
Brent P