G-Timer? Gadgets for timing 0-60, etc.?

Anyone familiar with any of the little gadgets offered claimed to be able to measure your 0-60 mph times and all that? I saw one called a "G-Timer"... no installation required. I cannot understand how such a thing could work. I realize that it is an accelerometer, but how does it know how far the car has traveled or what speed the car is traveling at if there is "no installation"? There used to be a gadget like this offered a while back, but it did require you to hook up some magnets to your driveshaft along with a sensor or something like that... this makes a little more sense to me for accurately measuring distance covered and vehicle speed. Does anyone have any experience with the G-Timer or any other similar product? In the past, just for kicks, I would set a video camera up to point at my speedometer, and then video tape a 0-60 mph run... I would then go back and watch the video tape and time the run with a stop watch. Of course this is an incredibly inaccurate way of doing this, but after timing several runs, assuming there is some consistency to the runs, you can probably get within one second accuracy. Anyway, this video idea is of course quite ridiculous, and if a "G-Timer" type product existed that was actually somewhat accurate and not just a bogus toy, I'd be interested in it. So... does such a thing exist, or are all "G-timer" type gadgets just bogus toys? I guess if they were at least somewhat accurate, but VERY consistent, this would be ok for comparing cars and/or looking for differences between modifications, even if the actual data was not dead on. Info and comments appreciated.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Perhaps you are thinking of the G-tech and/or G-tech Pro accelerometers. Google search this group and see what others have had to say. From what I can remember, they're quite consistent and even very close to a 1/4 mile track in time numbers. The MPH numbers are slightly higher because where the G-tech gets your MPH at the end of 1/4 mile, a dragstrip averages it over the last 60'.

The G-timer sounds like a knock-off of the G-tech.

JS

Reply to
JS

Thanks for the info. What I saw originally was a G-Timer... I just found the URL (below). I will look into the G-tech though. There is an explanation at the G-Timer site (under the FAQ) about how the thing works with "no installation" for anyone who is interested. They claim accuracy of

50 milliseconds. Wow, I wonder if that is true. Sounds a bit optimistic for something that costs $150. I will check out the G-tech thing too. Thanks. I guess going to the track is the BEST thing, but there are no tracks by me, and I don't have much available time to make long trips to a track.

GT-Vert-03

They all work on the same principle. If you know the G force (acceleration or deceleration) and also know very accurately the elapsed time between the start and end points, you can calculate speed and distance thru standard formulas. I don't know the specifics of the $150 brands as far as there accuracy but it's most likely good enough for track use of people would that trash canned all of them by now. There are $700 to $5000 versions available that have very high clock rates, very accurate internal clocks, and can capture tons of data and store it. You can print out the results and easily see an ABS cycling. You can also see the acceleration blips for manual and auto transmissions when they shift. They have been proven accurate enough that results from them are often used in court cases when they have been used to measure road friction, stopping distance, car performance.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Something else to keep in mind: They say no installation needed. Well, they don't consider putting the cigarette plug into the outlet as installation. Some of the info the thing gets is from your cigarette lighter (such as RPM's and shift points). To me, a 100% no installation means the darn thing runs on a double A or triple A battery. And you just put it on the dash or suction cup it to the windshield.

I definitely be aware of any AA or AAA operated gadget that does what the G-Tech or G-timer claims to do.

Hope this gives you something new to think about.

Reply to
Greg B.

How would they get RPM and shift points from the lighter socket???? Sounds like someone's been feeding you a line. The $2000 computer download enabled system I have can be run strictly on batteries if you want to. Just suction cup it to the windshield. If you want RPM you have to buy a different model with a wired hookup to pickup the rpm signal.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

Alternator output, maybe? Dunno about shift points...

When I went in for emissions testing last summer they had me plug a lead into my lighter socket, and that's the only way the computer could possibly have known my RPMs (unless it was calculated from the wheel speed on the dyno, but I don't think that's likely; too many variables and too many cars). Two years before that, the computer got the RPMs from an induction sensor of some kind that they stuck on the hood of my Mustang. It looked like an oversized computer mouse. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I'm guessing you can detect it in the brief stop/change in acceleration. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

It works, period. I own a Gtech Pro Competition, and it's awesome. the only thing it doesn't do yet that I really want is the road course program--that's a firmware upgrade that will hopefully be available soon.

It senses RPM from your cig lighter from EM noise. You calibrate it, of course. It tells you to go to 3000 RPM, and you go there. 5000 rpm, you go there, etc. So, with acceleration, time, and rpm, it can judge distance travelled, horsepower, speed, and many other things. Rear wheel horsepower is very close. It measured my GT at

239 RWHP....not far off of what a stock GT would show on a dyno. It judged my coworker's 2003 Viper RT/S close to its dyno reading too.

They're not easy to use, you need to calibrate them. The more info you give it, the more it will give you.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

I knew I wasn't crazy when I mentioned that gadget could get the RPM's out of the socket!! I just didn't know how it did that. Huge Thanks to all those that gave the details on RPM issue! Hey, I learned something and I didn't even have to go back to school!!! :D

Reply to
Greg B.

Sounds pretty clever. Seems so simple too. Wish I'd thought of it an patented it!!