Gas cap question

Need to buy a gas cap for a ' 71 Mustang Grande'. Will any gas cap work including ones labeled "emission control" as these appear to have pressure seals. The current gas cap fits very loose.

Thanks

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

You may have a problem with a non-vented cap. As the fuel level in the tank drops, air needs a way in to fill the void or the negative pressure may prevent the fuel pump from getting enough fuel to the carb.

(*>

Reply to
Hawk

I thought so, but I was more worried about excess pressure when the fuel warms up :)

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

That may not happen but what will happen is the fuel tank will start to collapse just like in those science experiments when you applied a vacuum to the plastic/light metal container. I split a tank on a '76 Dodge Ramcharger by not using a vented cap. Those mechanical fuel pumps and probably electric ones are great at pulling/pumping fuel from the tank.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

A lot of the Mustang parts vendors carry gas caps for 64.5 through 73 and later. With the proper one for your year identified as such.

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

"Hawk" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The '71 had the canister vent system, but they are often dysfunctional. You can't go wrong with the vented cap.

Reply to
elaich