Gas prices again

Cheapest place I can find in my area today was 2.39 a gallon...

Gumby619

Too depressed to make up a sig

Reply to
Gumby619

"Gumby619" skrev i en meddelelse news:xOWbd.49099$Lo6.2308@fed1read03...

If it makes you feel better, i can tell you that in Denmark we have to pay aprox. 9,00 danish kroner pr. liter. Thats aprox. 5,70 USD pr. gallon Talk about beeing depressed !

Peter C:\ Denmark

Reply to
Peter C:\>

Cheapest regular I could fill my Honda 350 with today was $2.32 (87 octane)

Reply to
vince garcia

It's supply and demand folks. Right now the World is consuming (burning) absolutely everything that is pumped. As 3rd World countries continue to prosper their demand for oil continues to rise.. they want cars instead of bicycles. Pretty soon demand will inflate prices to the point where alternate energy solutions become viable.. or, God forbid, conservation looks attractive. Of course prices could drop dramatically.. if we have a World economic recession/depression. At least then gas will be cheap.

In the meantime GET USED TO IT. Supply and demand rules!

LJH

95GT (3 cars, 2 of which get over 30mpg)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Yup, were still better off than most countries.

Reply to
Mark

Yes we are . . . . for now.

As the standard of living goes up in large, developing countries, there's a good chance our standard of living will go down the tubes.

Reply to
John

You got that right. And until Americans quit driving piggish, $50,000 8-mpg. Sport Utes and King-Sized pickups because they're 'stylish', figure on paying MORE in the future. The US, China and India drink up petroleum as fast as it can be pumped out of the ground.

What a waste. We're mortgaging our kid's energy future with all this nonsense. My beater gets 35 mpg, and I only use about 10 gallons of fuel per month. Another 2-3 gallons per month goes into Charlene, as she is driven strictly on weekends. That's IT. I *laugh my ass off* every time I see some dumbass blonde baby-machine in her Expedition, pump $100 bucks worth of overpriced 93 octane into her leased behemouth, just to keep up appearances.

And I'm sure I look like a pauper standing there pumping a measily $7.00 bucks worth to fill The Beater. That's OK. I have a smile on my face and my wallet is still full of green cash when I drive away.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I dunno what kinda mileage your 'stang gets but we get 10 mpg on a good day with a tailwind going downhill

Gumby619

Praying for wind

Reply to
Gumby619

Seven bucks to fill your beater? Where are you buying gas, and are you talking about a moped? Hehe.

Reply to
Mark
10mpg?? Whats wrong with your car? I have a 430hp Stang and get 15mpg when I drive it hard. More of course when I dont.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Well...its a 65 with a 302 in it...carter 650 and Edelbrock intake. Other than that as far as I know its stock... NFI why its so bad.....

Gumby619

I can't afford to drive it 'cept on weekends

Reply to
Gumby619

Better have it checked out. My '71 390 F-100 gets twelve.

Reply to
Mark

In the 3 days since I gassed up at $2.32, the same station is now $2.39

Reply to
vince garcia

Last week. Gas station near where I work (coastal california). Coming to work $2.23, Going to gym at noon $2.28. Returning to work 2pm $2.31. Returning home 7pm $2.38. Now $2.48/$2.58/$2.68 (87/89/91 oct).

I think gas companies and taxing entities have taken a look at Europe and realized what the market will bear. I agree that we will not see gasoline below $2/gal again. More likely in range of $3.50-$4.50/gal within a couple of years.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

well...get ready for a replay of the 1960s. We'll either have domestic terrorist conservatives taking to the streets, or civil disobedient liberals--or both of the above. It will start with the poorest, who can't afford to feed themselves with the way prices will rise, and work its way up to the middle class who will lose jobs as the economy turns south. Bush or Kerry, whoever's in office, will get all the credit.

Reply to
vince garcia

I'd bet on that. They'll be making everything and we'll be flippin burgers (if we're lucky). Only way out is the best education system in the World producing the best educated citizens in the World. Now that's a laugh, LOL.

LJH

95GT

conservation

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Unless you have 4.11:1 or 4.56:1 gears something is very wrong... My '68 Galaxie 500 with a 302 and 2.80:1 gears gets ~12 MPG these days. That is very bad for that car, with the stock 2v 302 it got 17 MPG highway and typically about 14 around town. That was with 1 cylinder reading only 60 PSI or so, so it was essentially running on 7 cylinders.

The reason my mileage is so bad now is because I am at 11.1:1 compression using 289 heads and even with 94 octane it'll ping a little. I have to have my timing so far retarded and come in so slowly that it hurts my mileage a lot. I'm about ready to get a 460 so I can get better mileage _and_ run

87-89 octane!

You should look closely at your distributor. Make sure your initial timing is set right (289s and 302 like a good bit of initial timing), then make sure your vacuum advance is working (chack that the diaphragm doesn't leak) and is adjusted properly, then finally check that your mechanical advance is working properly and smoothly. Lightly grease everything that moves/pivots/rubs when you put it back together.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Your signatures slay me sometimes dude.. lol..

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

The price of oil has almost doubled.. from $30 a barrel to $54-$56 a barrel. If the oil companies were passing this on directly to us the price of gasoline would have nearly doubled. No such thing has happened. I wouldn't peg the oil companies as villans in this particular episode. As a wise man once said "Natural resources will rule your World"... and they are.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

fine. Go look at exxon's stock chart over the past year

Stock value rises when profits rise.

Also, here's a july report of exxon making record profits specifically from the rise in oil prices--a 54% increase in profit!!

Now of course exxon would like you to know their profits are perfectly reasonable, and there is not so much as an iota of thought on their mind of profiteering of the backs of consumers...

Reply to
vince garcia