Gas station price signs not usable in Canada now

They only hold three digits. You need four to represent $133.9 per litre so the stations have taken to setting up make-shift sign boards.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

If it's any consolation...

I just filled up at $2.999 today, down from a high of $3.399.

I know we'll never see last year's $1.599 again, but this is encouraging.

dwight (all prices given for US dollars and US gallons) (( stinkin' foreigners ))

Reply to
dwight

Paid $1.149/l in town this AM.... drove to Edmonton and decided to take advantage of some lower prices... $1.089/l in both Edmonton and Westlock. Geez... I can remember when I got married.... we were paying what works out to about $0.06/l

FWIW... it didn't take long for them to "fix" all the signs in Alberta.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Cost tonight in Toronto was 105.9/litre. That's down from a high of

135.9 last week. I suppose it'll spike up to 114.9 in the morning, as usual. Price tonight = about $58.00 for my Mustang tank, 55l. I don't know what it's actual capacity is, I've never gone down to the bottom. The "commoditization" of gas has produced real winfalls for the industry because their pricing (refining, etc) does not oscillate like that, over such short periods. So, if 15 million cars filled up last week at least once, the extra $0.30/litre they charged for that time = about $270,000,000 extra over four days. The U.S. probably saw about $2.4 billion more for the industry and the government of Canada and Ontario split around $90,000,000 in EXTRA taxes owing to the higher price. Government's take from a year's worth of gasoline in Canada is around $20 billion. That doesn't include taxes on corporate profits, just pump tax.

-Rich

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

So, Rich... not expecting immediate relief from Ottawa, eh?

Hehe... we just had some plank senator here in the states propose raising the gas excise tax by 10 cents to pay for Katrina, "because we are used to the high prices"

Rich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Which senator?

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Make that "former senator" come next election.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich