geico vs other insurance

This Geico thread has been interesting, and brings up the question of insurance companies again. Has anyone got any good companies, with good service and prices to recommend for collector car insurance?

Myself, I'm with Farmers, as I mentioned. I've got full coverage of $9000 on my '68, with a $250 deductible. The price per year is either $200 or $250 (i forget offhand), and I can theoretically drive up to

10000 miles a year on that coverage, though I'm on a motorcycle 99% of the time.

Now since, by God's grace, I don't get into car wrecks, I've never had to test how easy it is to get Farmers to pay off a claim, so I can't speak to that issue. One friend has been fighting for two years with his company (either Allstate or Farmers) to repair his 55 chevy. The company's claims adjuster incompetantly and incorrectly declared the car had been modified to a 6 cylinder from a V8, and wanted to total the formerly clean vehicle for something like $3000. Last I heard, he had gone thru arbitartion (a BS process if there ever was one) and was going to get enough to barely cover repair costs.

Has anyone got any comparable coverage as mine at a better rate, and have you ever put the claim process for that company to the test?

Reply to
vince garcia

I have heard the horror stories about the different insurance companies, Farmers included, and heard just the opposite from the customers who were very happy with the service they get. One item I have noted is that those who were in the wrong (ie drunk driving, many speeding violations, or whatever) were the loudest voices about the insurance company not treating them right. Mine is Allstate, and I have had great service from my local agent. Yet I have heard tons of complaints against AllFate - as "you're in UNsafe hands with AllFate"-

Like politicians, I d>This Geico thread has been interesting, and brings up the question of

V'ger

1965 Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black A Code 4 spd 1966 Fastback 2+2 White w/Red C Code Auto
Reply to
V'ger

My family and I use State Farm insurance. I have full coverage on my 87 LX Convertible and pay 174 a month about 1110 every 6 months. (only 17 years old) Thats with a $50 dollar deductable. I havent had any problems with them really. My rear window broke and within a week I got it fixed. (glass took 3 days to come from manufacturer). The total on that was 300 so I paid my 50 and they covered the rest.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

. Has anyone got any good companies, with good

While most common insurance carriers will cover collectibles, you are much better off going with insurance companies that specifically deal with, and understand, classic cars.

I used Haggerty while my 66 was registered. When I first got the insurance, they wanted pictures of the car, it's mileage, any and all modifications, and set specific limits for mileage and usage.

My 66 will be a much different car when I reregister it this summer, and I will tell my company about the new disc brakes, three point belts, 5.0 FI engine, and AOD transmission. You must also state a value to the car, and the rates will be based on those conditions.

Check ads in Hemmings, Car Collector, etc. for several companies that deal in specific collector car coverage.

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del