Get Ready To Pay Four Bucks A Gallon

NEW YORK - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon soon, but whether they stay there depends on the long-term damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts said Wednesday.

"There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"

Is the modern muscle car era over, and is return of the Mustang II just around the corner?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I watched with dismay the looting going on in New Orleans.

The hurricane hit on Monday. Prices at my local station went up 30 cents/gallon since then, ON GASOLINE THEY ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK.

Right now, I see no difference between the looters and the gas station owners.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight,

It's soon going to look like 1974 all over again. You remember, dwight. You couldn't give away a "gas guzzler." The old muscle cars were pushed out to pasture. It's now set to happen to our latest breed too. Not to mention the scores of overweight SUVs.

If gas prices continue to escalate you'll be able to buy any of those "big rigs" for the paper money you happen to have in your wallet. Imagine a big sign... Hummers, 80% off. And to think, GM recently put all their fresh eggs into the SUV market by killing investment in new sedans in order to rush a fresh set of big SUVs to market...

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

They charge based on what it will cost to *replace* what is already in the tank. That's Business 101.

Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Hybrid Mustangs.

*shudder*
Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Take a close look at who's predicting this. What he's really doing is getting you ready for the next round of price gouging. It's like the farmer who's "predicting" that he will charge $2 an ear for his corn next month.

Reply to
.boB

Yet, when the price to replace the fuel goes down, they say 'but we paid the high price for what's in the tank now'.

IMO, fair pricing picks one or the other, not the highest at any given time.

The only solution is to not buy (as much).

Reply to
Brent P

Could be fine if ford did it right... guess you're right, ford wouldn't do it right. Say hi to modern mustang ii.

Reply to
Brent P

Yep, pretty dang ridiculous. One particular station near me went from. $2.89 to $3.47! sometime Tuesday. I think they are all past $3.00 for regular.

Hell, I gassed up the boat at the beginning of the season @ $3.00 marina price, which was high at the time. I'm thinkin' of drawin' down the tank to feed the cars, now. :(

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

I like the idea of lighter weight cars.

Reply to
Scotter

Looting, unfortunately, is a normal reaction to a major catastrophe. In New Orleans it's expected. The times which surprise me are when people in ghettos burn down their own homes (such as they are) and loot and burn the only stores which will operate in that environment. An example is Watts.

It's kinda like unions. one union goes out on strike and the rest show support and solidarity by going out on strike even when they didn't need more benefits or pay. Here you have gas stations doing the same thing for their brother stations.

Major difference. Looters are doing something illegal, while what the gas stations are doing is legal. Looters can be shot legally. Gas station attendants can't.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

It's already started. Car manufacturers have already begun downsizing SUVs models. They say because the price of fuel will really cut sales. As it was back then, I already see 4X4s and SUVs sitting along the roads with For Sale signs.

Gas prices will continue to rise, but the pundits have already said the high prices can not be sustained long term because of the impact on societies around the world, and the changes which would have to happen. That includes the possibility of world conflict over fuel.

One of the oil company execs just stated that he didn't believe the price per barrel could be sustained at even $50 per barrel. And OPEC is already hedging.

Nothing has changed yet, but it likely will. The damage brought by Katrina were not projected. In fact some believed the hurricane season was pretty much over. Meteorologists, however, say major hurricanes should be expected for up to another 40 years, if, as they suspect, the world is in a cycle of severe weather as has been recorded in the geological records.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Fair pricing? I thought for a business it was supply and demand setting the rates. If a station is paying X they need a minimum profit of Y to remain in business. And if it looks like they are going to have to pay even more for the next delivery (if and when they can get it) better for the to charge more than to lag behind the curve.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

better than a Pinto, or an AMC Pacer..... : 0 )

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Fox News at noon showed a BP station in Metro Atlanta that was at $6.079 a gallon today .

Reply to
Keith Warren

Good thing I just bought the bicycle. I can see myself pedalling to work next year, when gas hits $6.00.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Baloney.

I heard a station owner interviewed on the radio. When asked why she raised her price so much, she said, "Because everyone else did."

Look - I understand fair market value and the price that the market will bear, and all that. But this is thievery. Plain and simple.

When the station pays a higher price for their product, I'll pay a higher price for what I buy. THAT is business 101.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Here is a horrible situation, yet we see innumerable examples of heroism and neighbors coming together. The looters are the exact opposite - "what's in this for me?"

The station owners are the same. They see a catastrophe as an excuse to increase their profits on the gasoline they've already purchased. Sure, it's legal, but it's still looting. And it's despicable.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

No comment.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

Are you telling me that you haven't seen those little hybrids tooling around the roads? That is the next Mustang II.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve