Getting 110 miles to the gallon (News 8 Austin)

07/02/2008: An auto mechanic from Ohio claims he has revolutionized the modern engine and says his 1987 Ford Mustang will get 110 miles to the gallon.
Reply to
admin

engine and says his 1987 Ford Mustang will get 110 miles to the gallon.

But wait! There's more!

It goes well over 100-miles per hour.

"It's 400 horsepower and has 500-foot pounds of torque. Off the line, it goes from zero to 60 in three seconds," he said.

Pelmear won't show what's under the hood. Some of his gizmos are still awaiting patents.

But the secret lies in making engines more efficient.

The only part I do believe is "secret lies"; the rest is B.S.

Reply to
Bob Willard

He's using the Tornado and an electric supercharger! lol AOL

Reply to
GILL

With a Water 4 Gas system! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Reply to
ChrisB

I am sure these claims are total BS. What I don't understand is the motivation for making them. Is he looking for investors? Or does he just want his 15 minutes of fame (infamy)?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

:>

:>>> 07/02/2008: An auto mechanic from Ohio claims he has revolutionized the :>>> modern engine and says his 1987 Ford Mustang will get 110 miles to the :>>> gallon. :>>>

:>>>

:>>

:>> But wait! There's more! :>>

:>> It goes well over 100-miles per hour. :>>

:>> "It's 400 horsepower and has 500-foot pounds of torque. Off the line, :>> it goes from zero to 60 in three seconds," he said. :>>

:>> Pelmear won't show what's under the hood. Some of his gizmos are :>> still awaiting patents. :>>

:>> But the secret lies in making engines more efficient. :>>

:>> The only part I do believe is "secret lies"; the rest is B.S. :>> -- :>> Cheers, Bob :>

:>I am sure these claims are total BS. What I don't understand is the :>motivation for making them. Is he looking for investors? Or does he just :>want his 15 minutes of fame (infamy)? :>

:>Ed

You're sure? See the last paragraph. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 MustangOhio Man Competing For $10M Prize POSTED: 10:21 am EDT July 2, 2008 UPDATED: 11:07 am EDT July 2, 2008

Doug Pelmear said he isn't toying with the engine of 1987 Ford Mustang for the money.

[...]

The engineer's tinkering, however, could earn him $10 million and save him plenty more in gas money.

[...]

Pelmear entered his car to win the the $10 million Progressive Automotive X Prize: a race to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at least 100 miles per gallon.

[...]
Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

What... nobody remembers the Pogue carburettor?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes I am sure.

I figure this is just part of the scam.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Some of you guys want to reread Eds words.... He's seeing the same stuff I am...

OK... WTF - you guys have me dead to rights... I have a 700 HP diesel one ton and I'm getting 107 MPG while towing.... You can't look under my hood and there is no empirical data that I can show you... you'll just have to take my word for it.... Or, if you can wait a week or two, I can cook up a few testimonials (Like Burt R. from Hoboken who says..." danged if this ain't the dangdest thing I ever did see... well... ever since the other danged thing...").

Conspiracy theories begin with the assumption that something like 20,000 people can keep a secret.... If any one of you yayhoos told 5 close people about you little "problem", it would take less than a week for it to be on the front page of your local paper.... A conspiracy this big is doomed at the beginning.

The Ottocycle engine is easy to mass produce.... delivers acceptable thermal efficiency.. and is in a position where it may become obsolete as technology advances... I feel fairly comfortable saying this and that is because I have been involved in the automotive trades for 4 decades.

After this amount of time - I can honestly say that I haven't seen everything there is to see... but I am learning how to tell when there will never be "anything to see".

Doug P has been described as an auto mechanic - and he has been described as an engineer... ???? I spend a considerable amount of time consorting with all manner of very good technicians in various venues... with no recollection of Doug P's name. Wow... this guy has learned everything he knows without (apparently) asking questions of some very smart people.

Like Ed says... he has his foot in the door.... There is 10 MEGAbux up for grabs... Coax 5 MEGAbux out of some well meaning but inexperienced wannabe believers and it don't matter what happens....

is a pretty sound summation of "100 MPG"....

The Ottocycle engine has been around for a very long time... How much stuff do you think hasn't been tried?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Which electric supercharger? The battery powered one or the one with the extension cord?

Reply to
Spike

Wasn't that '15 minutes of shame"?

Reply to
Spike

:>

:>> :>

:>> :>>> 07/02/2008: An auto mechanic from Ohio claims he has revolutionized :>> the :>> :>>> modern engine and says his 1987 Ford Mustang will get 110 miles to :>> the :>> :>>> gallon. :>> :>>>

:>> :>>>

:>> :>>

[...]

:>Yes I am sure. :>

:>>

> Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang:>> Ohio Man Competing For $10M Prize:>>

:>> POSTED: 10:21 am EDT July 2, 2008 :>> UPDATED: 11:07 am EDT July 2, 2008 :>>

:>>

:>> Doug Pelmear said he isn't toying with the engine of 1987 Ford Mustang for :>> the money. :>>

:>> [...] :>>

:>> The engineer's tinkering, however, could earn him $10 million and save him :>> plenty more in gas money. :>>

:>> [...] :>>

:>> Pelmear entered his car to win the the $10 million Progressive Automotive :>> X :>> Prize: a race to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at :>> least 100 miles per gallon. :>

:>I figure this is just part of the scam. :>

:>Ed

Again, we'll see soon enough. Although I'm curious why you think Progressive Ins. Co. would be part and parcel to a scam.

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Can't say it is, and I can't say it isn't. I know that there is a very large cash prize (heck, it's those prizes that keep Al Bore pushing the Global Warming agenda).

What I do know is that there have been some major breakthroughs in technology by garage and basement inventors down through the ages.

How long ago was it that nobody would believe an aircraft could circle the globe without refueling? Or a private group could launch a manned craft into space? Or how about a jet that can fly mach speed without afterburners, and use less fuel to fly higher and faster? Even electric cars are getting a lot faster and going further

Who knows.... maybe the guy has a way to disable all but one cylinder to get the 100mpg, and engage them all to reach 100mph... Did he say he can do both at the same time?

Still, he's gotta prove it before I put a penny in. And yet, I sure hope it's going to happen soon.... we sure need it.

Reply to
Spike

I look at a mega car company like Toyota that gets 55 mpg from the next generation Prius, their high mpg wonder hybrid. How much R&D have they put into that car to get that mpg rating? More than the entire annual budgets of many states.

Now here comes a mechanic in Ohio that takes an ancient Mustang and works his common man knowledge on it to get 110 mpg from it. When will common sense take over and keep us from giving these snake oil salesmen their 15 minutes of dubious fame. I wish I had a dollar for ever yahoo that has claimed to reinvent the internal combustion engine to get

100-200 mpg. I could go pay cash for a Prius with the funds.

The other thing that always accompanies these stories is that the government/oil companies/auto makers (take your pick or even a combination of them) are out to stamp out the latest wonder technology. It is all a self reinforcing delusion. These idiots claim to invent the new wonder technology, then they claim they have been sabotaged by big brother and therein lies their built-in excuse to not have to prove their claims. Meanwhile they probably managed to fleece any number of people out of some cash. It's funny how these stories always reach a fever pitch when gas prices spike. To quote PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Heck, I've seen people kill their spouse for $25k of life insurance. It isn't a stretch at all for this numb nuts to think he can fleece Progressive out of $10 million with a scam he invented. I guess just the fact he registered makes him legitimate?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

:>Like Ed says... he has his foot in the door.... There is 10 MEGAbux up for :>grabs... Coax 5 MEGAbux out of some well meaning but inexperienced wannabe :>believers and it don't matter what happens....

That's right. All the gullible hicks...

All vehicles will be required to have a minimum set of features. Those features include but may not be limited to:

? Enclosed cabin (or convertible), with windshield and windows ? Windshield wipers and washers ? Seat belts and restraints ? Rear and side view mirrors ? Feedback mechanisms to provide essential data to the driver (speed, fuel remaining, range, etc.) ? Lamps, lighting, horn, indicators, brake lights and reflective devices consistent with safety regulations

Furthermore, the following features are required to accommodate AXP requirements for vehicle testing and monitoring:

Sufficient ground clearance, cooling and attachment points to facilitate dynamometer testing

Marmon flange for connection to emissions sampling equipment

A standard, AXP-supplied on-board data acquisition and telemetry package that captures and transmits at a minimum: fuel-flow (for liquid and gaseous fuels), amp-hours (for electrical fuels), GPS data (for location and speed)

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

The only attempt at getting super high mpg from an internal combustion engine was Smokey Yunick. He was working on using ceramics to build an engine that recycled the heat produced during combustion to increase thermal efficiency. What he proposed was an engine that ran very hot and only ceramics could take the heat without a meltdown. I don't think it got anywhere but he at least had some logic behind his approach.

IMO, when the end of the > Some of you guys want to reread Eds words.... He's seeing the same stuff I > am...

Reply to
Michael Johnson

:>Sarah Czepiel wrote: :>> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 07:52:04 -0400, "C. E. White" :>> wrote: :>> :>> :>

:>> :>Ed :>> :>> :>> You're sure? See the last paragraph. I guess we'll see soon enough. :>

:>Heck, I've seen people kill their spouse for $25k of life insurance. It :>isn't a stretch at all for this numb nuts to think he can fleece :>Progressive out of $10 million with a scam he invented. I guess just :>the fact he registered makes him legitimate?

With you logic it's a good thing you don't work for Progressive Ins. Company. :)

:>>

> Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang:>> Ohio Man Competing For $10M Prize:>> :>> POSTED: 10:21 am EDT July 2, 2008 :>> UPDATED: 11:07 am EDT July 2, 2008 :>> :>> :>> Doug Pelmear said he isn't toying with the engine of 1987 Ford Mustang for :>> the money.

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

You're a trusting soul, Sarah. I have lived long enough to hear thousands of miracle invention claims for just about anything imaginable. Maybe because I'm an engineer it makes me cynical when I hear someone had an epiphany occur to them in their garage that lets them skip all the R&D a company like Toyota does year after year to bring a 55 mpg hybrid car to market for $20k-$23k. If getting 100 mpg from an old Mustang was that easy it would have been done by now. Progressive doesn't have to worry about losing their $10 million anytime soon. ;)

:>> Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang> :>> Ohio Man Competing For $10M Prize> :>>

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I remember that... I think Smokey called it "stratified charge" or similar? I remember he was using a turbocharger to homogenize the "working fluid " (not only was the man a genius, but he had a way with words, too).

Reply to
Jim Warman