GM Working On A 'Mustang Competitor'!!

Awesome news! Sounds like a new Camaro is in the planning.

By AUTOWEEK

Reply to
Patrick

This is good news as long as GM doesn't emasculate it by making it front wheel drive like they did with the Impala, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, etc., etc., etc. . . .

David

Reply to
David R. McCoy

I don't think that will be a problem as long as Lutz is around. I'm more worried about styling than anything. GM has not had much to brag about in the looks department for a long time.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:01:13 -0400, "MadDAWG" wrote something wonderfully witty:

A very long time. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the styling clues from the original Camaro as Ford did with the new Mustang.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

They've done a hell of a good job on the new Corvette.

Reply to
Black Bomb

David,

I think the "Lutz era" GM is smarter than that. They know their target - the RWD Mustang -- and I'm sure we'll see worthy and formidable challenger for the pony car crown.

Ford's all new Mustang will soon make it's showroom debut, soon to be followed by a Cobra version. D.C. has given their Charger concept a green light for production. And now GM says they have some competition for the Mustang in the plans. Ford's working on an all-new 6.2 liter cammer, D.C. has their 5.7 liter hemi, and there's talk of a larger 6.1 liter verion, and GM just introduced their sweet

6-liter LS2. Isn't life grand?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

They had better hope gas prices drop back to below $1.80 per gallon or lower or the reception to these large displacement engines will be luke warm. If the bean counters don't sell enough copies of these, its back to the smaller engines. With prices over $2.00 per gallon in many areas for the entire month of May, I'm sure they are becoming concerned. John

Reply to
jriegle

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

400 hp and 3300 lbs for $25000, none of the rest would matter. (Actually, in keeping with past Chevy practice they'd have to rate it 10 hp less than the Vette.)

180 Out TS 28

Reply to
180 Out

I'm sure people who have deep enough pockets:

To afford these cars, would really give a shit about the price of gas, at even the $4.00 a gallon mark!

I wouldn't, just to go out and have some fun stomping ponies again!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

...and have it wear a Tri-shield! :)

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:29:39 GMT, "David R. McCoy" puked:

It appears that the trend is moving back to the front engine/RWD if the new offerings from D/Chrysler are any indication. So, is it gonna be a 5th gen F-body? It would be cool seeing a retro styled after the first gens sitting beside the new retro Stang.

lab~rat

If Ford & GM would use a better (or another) overdrive gear (like the Vette) gas mileage would only be a concern when deciding how often you wanted to burn mass quantities.

bill Car: '64.5 Mustang: 260 V8, 3 sp, factory a/c, SVO cam, Performer intake, Holley 390 cfm carb, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust manifolds, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq Thrust D's

Guns: Colt AR15, Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

I think GM's styling has been getting better. The C-5 Corvettes look nice, the new SSR looks good with the top up or down.

The boys over at mopar are putting out some vehicals that look cool, so are the dearborn bunch. I hope GM will get the hint. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Great Point. And these newer cars get over 20 MPG average. So even at $4.00 it will cost them less per mile then my 85 T/A. Which no matter how high the prices get, she gets high test. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Design the car so it has plenty of low rpm torque so it can handle really low rpms on the interstate and I would think that fuel mileage could be fairly high. I have heard of people getting 30+ mpg with the newer Corvettes.

Too many cars are being built with engines that have to be revved too high for my taste. I like to have a car that has plenty of low end torque.

Reply to
Mark Jones

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote in news:13cf8a87.0406031527.56352ba5 @posting.google.com:

I never owned a Mustang, but that is one of the things that makes this car so attractive and explains why Ford still makes it: it is inexpensive. The price which the Firebird/Camaros climbed up to was outright offensive. Last I checked, the prices were starting close to $30k canadian, and over $40k for fully loaded convertibles. I would like to ask GM who in the hell they believe is going to pay this kind of money? If you want to compete with the rice car phenomenon, the pricing of the Firebird/Camaro would have to drop. I think GM screwed the line up by overpricing it. Their new replacement? To bring back the GTO. Big deal.. with GM's pricing, it will just be another failed attempt because they will charge way too much money for it.

Maybe GM will understand this one day and when they bring back the Firebird and Camaros, they will be able to make alot of money off of them again. The only reason they died off is because GM was not inventive and competitive enough to do battle with Mustang and the other sports cars out there. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Cylon

I disagree. That wasn't the only reason. I think one of the reasons is that the f-bodies competed with each other, not just the mustang. It's diminishing returns. If GM stuck with just the Camaro or just the Firebird, I think they'd would have done better but who's to say if even that would have succeeded.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

"Bruce Chang" wrote in news:y14wc.4536$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

You got a point there. But still, I think the car was too expensive any way you look at it.

Reply to
Cylon

Hey Steve, goto ebay and do a search on "Kenne Bell". Look at the "GSX" that shows up.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hi Lab, or may I call you rat?

How's the El Camino?