Gonna Buy Me A New Mustang Sedan, Or Wagon.

Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.

Here are mine. I would love to see the Mustang chassis used to produce some new RWD cars! And while, I love quirky vehicles (I own a Honda element), and vehicles with some amount of utility (reason I love hatchback Mustangs), I think Ford, and the Mustang name, would be better off calling this sedan & wagon idea something other than Mustang, AND using body panels that look nothing like a Mustang. That said, I'd still love to see a limited production run of that GT500K wagon.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Patrick, I totally agree with you. It's something that might actually help Ford save its collective ass. DC has already done this to an extent with the 300, Magnum, and Charger. Great way to leverage a single chassis design.

Joe

I agree, build and expand on the platform all you want, but call the sheetmetal something else. Mustang has never been a wagon or sedan, always a two door coupe, and as iconic as the Mustang is, it should stay that way.

If you want to add a second set of doors to it, bring back the Fairlane, Maverick or Futura nameplate.

chris

I'm sorry.. did you say "never"?

Hawgman

Old Idea.

Ford first toyed with it about 40 years ago.

Reply to
Brent P

Maverick came in two door and later four door versions. I wouldn't mind a new two door maverick. Problem is, ford would intentionally cripple the maverick in the US as it did in the 70s in favor of mustang

Reply to
Brent P

Never. As in, never in production or available to the general public. Prototypes hardly count.

That being said, I HATE that "new" Mustang. Looks very much to me like a Magnum wannabe, and I don't care for the Magnum.

I know that Ford is desperate, but I have to believe that diluting the Mustang's genes with sedans and wagons is NOT the way to go. They're banking on increased sales that may well not be there.

A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else. This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand altogether. Sorry, Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about everyone has a pretty good idea of what the name connotes. By bringing it out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the herd, losing the very appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

No, I think that if you want to finally kill the Mustang off, that's the way to go.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

What difference does it make that Mustang is the first-use?

Let the custom carriage shops convert it to wagons or sedan deliveries, just like before..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand

that just about everyone has a pretty good idea of what

the Mustang to the rest of the herd, losing the very

Ford of Australia seems to disgree with you. And, you can get all the way from the base 250 hp 4.0L I-6 to the 350 hp 4V 5.4L Boss V8 (and with a six speed manual, cool).

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand

that just about everyone has a pretty good idea of what

the Mustang to the rest of the herd, losing the very

They don't sell the mustang down under (except for some special imports), they sell falcons. Nobody here will have a problem with sedans, wagons, utes, or anything else on the mustang platform carrying names like falcon, maverick, and ranchero. The key is that it isn't called a mustang.

Reply to
Brent P

Uh, no Ford Australia seems to be in total agreement with Dwight. You are mistaken, those ARE NOT Mustangs, they are Falcons, Fairmonts & Futuras...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

REALLY? You don't like the Magnum?! I think this may be the first time in 10 or so years we've been sharing this space in USENET that we strongly disagree. Because I absolutely love the Magnum! In fact, I'm going to rent one soon to take on a nice long trip. That long wagon sleek body, chopped roof and a Hemi under the hood, what's not to love?

I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons is that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line. And with so many Mustang-looking vehicles in their lineup, the Mustang uniqueness would be gone/lost. That said, again, I'd still like to see a few GT500Ks built.

Just to add some more debate what about the new Mini Traveler or the fact the WRX comes in both sedan and wagon versions?

I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap them up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang line of cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of years the Mustang name would forever be ruined.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Somewhere there is a falcon wagon with a full shelby treatment. It was a racing support vehicle back in the 60s.

Better than the early 80s when they were all fairmonts. oh wait... the mustang was fairmont too....

They just should just bite the bullet and bring the falcon and the ute over. They can make a wagon out of it as well.

Reply to
Brent P

Paint it black, it's a hearse. You know I'm no fan of the current Chrysler styling. And I've never liked the chopped hot rod look, especially in production vehicles. One man's sleek is another man's oogly. That 6.1 Hemi sounds interesting, though...

GT500KW. A nice little 4-door station wagon.

If someone tucked a Mini into my Christmas stocking, I'd trade it in the next day. And the WRX...? Ask me again, when it even APPROACHES the iconic stature of the Mustang nameplate. Matter o' fack, that WRX would make a sweet little crossover, if Subaru could figure out the weight ration and handling characteristics to match it up with an expanded cargo area... Maybe they should look into a hatchback design.

We agree there. Mustang = pony car, and a 4-door V6 Mustang might as well be named "Camry."

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Preach it. I own a couple of those Fairmonts.

The 2005, unless I'm mistaken, is the first wholly-Mustang Mustang, built from the ground up to BE a Mustang. In other words, Ford FINALLY got it right, after 40 years of building Mustangs on other platforms.

To now build a sedan or wagon and slap the "Mustang" nameplate on it would be insulting.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I'd buy one of these!

wadner

Oh, oh my. Okay NOW we have crossed the line...

WindsorFox

Just go for the whole 9 yards already... Falcon XR8 Ute.

Brent P

"dwight" wrote in news:z_SdnW6fM8TLIR_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

> agon-RVL.jpg

Following the logic, does that mean the 2-door V6 Mustang is the "Accord"?

Reply to
Joe

No. Solara.

:()