GT brake upgrade questions

I am once again, considering upgrading Charlene's brakes. I don't want to overboard. All I'm after is better fade resistance and perhaps another 20% braking capacity.

Preferably without red calipers, thanks.

I'm thinking a simple 13" Cobra (Brembo) caliper upgrade, braided hosiery and Powerslots with decent street pads; for the rear, Powerslots and said pads only.

I know about the excellent Powerslot reputation; would a set of Hawk pads compliment this, or should I go with something else? No 'racing' pads allowed; this is strictly for street use only.

Thank you for your suggestions.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Michael Johnson
** Go toward the bottom of the page I linked below and you'll find Bullitt ** and Cobra 13" front brake kits. They run $399 and include rotors, ** calpiers, pads and lines. Not a bad deal IMO. Either kit should make ** for a noticable improvement over the stock rotors and calipers. Here's ** the link: ** **
Thanks for the link. The rear kits are especially interesting. I'm leaning toward upgrading both front AND rear with the same type of set, to maintain braking 'balance' found on both Cobra and Bullitt models.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I swear by Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads.

I had them in a Crown Vic Police Interceptor and the brakes on that car were awesome!! Especially from slowing down after a 100MPH + romp! :>)

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

When I upgraded about a year and a half ago I decided to keep the stock rotor size. I went with the slotted Powerslots, Hawk HPS Street / Sport Pads, and braided steel lines. I am very pleased with the results. If I were into road racing or Autocross events I would've gone the 13" route but for street duty and bringing the car down from

100+ mph blasts down the local dragstrip this combo in the stock size works exceptionally well.

At the time the best price I found on the Powerslots was here:

The pads came from Tirerack and I think I got the Russell steel lines from Summit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Cobras have 2 piston PBR calipers, cobra R had the brembos calipers. Both have brembo rotors. It should be a decent upgrade. I've got the the cobra R brembos up front and the rears are stock. The braking system is probably too front biased, but even so it's way better than it was stock.

My dad didn't have good luck with the hawk pads (they wore out much quicker than the stock pads). I've had no problem with them at all.

Reply to
Brent P

As far as I know there haven't been any changes to rear brakes. All the mustangs have the same rears except the cobra Rs.

Reply to
Brent P

is your new friend, JD. ;-)

I am ordering a set of their charcoal gray PBR-logo'd calipers for the GT and using Powerslots for the rotors and Autozone special Performance Friction pads.

Already using braided stainless hoses (with teflon liners) from Partshopper.com

Reply to
Tungsten

JD Adams wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've had Powerslots and Hawk pads for years - they're a nice upgrade from OEM. IIRC, dwight also has good things to say about them. He's got them on his '93.

Joe
**
is your new friend, JD. ;-) ** ** I am ordering a set of their charcoal gray PBR-logo'd calipers for the ** GT and using Powerslots for the rotors and Autozone special ** Performance Friction pads. ** ** Already using braided stainless hoses (with teflon liners) from ** Partshopper.com

Oh yeah, now we're talking! Thanks for the link; I now have some serious reading to do.