GT shopping

Hi all,

Since folks here have been buying Mustangs for a while, and I'm shopping for my first new one, I'd welcome advice... For a close to base '07 GT Deluxe Coupe- adding Automatic, Front Side Airbags, and Interior Upgrade- I see KBB Invoice of 24,728, Edmunds Invoice of 25,689, and a CarsDirect price of 25,306. Given the vagaries of Invoice Pricing, can I assume these are pretty close? In central California, would an offer of 25,500 +Tax/License get me laughed off the lot? Could I do better? Thanks!

-tj

Reply to
timJ

Tim,

Depends on what you want to buy. Dealers are clearing out NEW 06 Mustang GT's at just shy of 8,000 off MSRP (that is under invoice price). (I've posted scans of the newspaper adds over at alt.binaries.pictures.drag-racing a little while ago). If I were buying an 07 Mustang GT, I would be paying INVOICE price or less for it.

Don't waste your time talking to the sales drones, speak directly to the sales manager. If you don't know who that is, you can call and ask his name, or stop in the parts department on your way in and ask the parts guy the sales/general manager's name. Then when you go into the show room you can ask for the sales manager by name. Tell him exactly what you want and how much you are paying, ask him if he would like to sell it to you or not. If you don't know exactly what you want' don't make an offer. If you ask questions and are indecisive, they will OWN you, you will be their bitch. If he tries to play games walk out.

YOUR NEGOTIATIONS SHOULD ALWAYS START AT INVOICE PRICE!

I have done this on my last three new purchases. The first I paid invoice price (done deal over the phone with the sales manager, and got high wholesale on my trade-in too), the second $1800 under invoice, and the last (2005) $3000 under invoice. Don't take any BS about not getting the incentives too, you always get all available incentives, no matter how good of a price you get, or the dealership keeps the incentives themselves.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, UNDERCOATING OR PAINT TREATMENT SCAMS! These items are sold at many, many times the dealers cost. Premium extended warranties cost the dealers well under $1000. The only one I bought was $100 over the dealers cost, I paid $500 for their highest level extended warranty. They will sell them for as much as they can get. Dealer supplied undercoating and paint treatments are simply a rip-off aimed at the unfortunate misinformed.

I am now on first name basis with the dealership owner of the Ford dealership I bought my 2005 ($3000 under invoice) at and have ordered my Shelby GT500 Mustang from him (that's a whole different market). He knows I buy new cars, I know he sells cars for a living and he doesn't screw around with me. We both get a good deal, it works out great for both of us.

Basically car salesmen will treat you like you ask to be treated, if they think you are a fool, they will treat you that way.

Nobody

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody