GT (Stick) and Rem. Start??

All, Is there a remote start I can install on my GT (Manual Transmission?)

I was looking at the Viper 771XV or something similar, but I can't figure out if they work with a stick..

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it a big pain to do? Is it even possible?

Reply to
japhar81

yes but you will need a cut off switch just in case it is in gear when you try to remote start it. Starting in gear is not a good thing. and if you really want a extra bit of protection you can set it up to where the remote start won't engage unless the park brake is set.

most won't but it can be done, i have seen several cars that have had it done.

good luck Defiant

Reply to
Defiant

DesignTech used to have one that was marketted under the brand name AutoCommand. I'm reaching back several years so you'll have to forgive me if they went under or such. This unit didn't have any neutral sensors but there was quite a rigamarole to go through to arm the unit. Opening the car door for any reason would require repeating the process.

There are many anecdotes about folks using auto trans units on a manual trans. Years ago, a neighbour proved that they aren't just anecdotes.... the incident involved his 3/4 ton 4X4, his garage door and his boat....

I'm currently considering replacing my Ford (Alarm Code) Silver with a unit from Ultra Start..... you might check those folks as well.

Jim Warman

You mean its actually possible to fire up the engine with an automatic starter? Doesnt something have to pop the clutch??

For some reason I was envisioning some pneumatic dealy somewhere under the hood.. Guess my automotive ignorance is showing again :-/

Reply to
japhar81

It is possible. With a stick you have to leave the car parked in neutral and bypass or otherwise disable the clutch-starter interlock.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
japhar81

Cars nowadays have (usually) a simple switch on the clutch pedal, very similar to a brake light switch. If the clutch isn't against the carpet, the car won't start. Car makers were apparently afraid of litigation from people who were stupid enough to try and start their stick-shift in gear without the clutch floored.

For serious off-roaders, it's a common practice to disable the interlock so that in an emergency they can use the starter to move their rig that last ten feet.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
japhar81

Maybe not, if you've got a low enough first gear. Even in the likely event that it would immediately stall, it would still "jump" some on the starter alone, which is enough to make liability assessors/lawyers cringe.

If you're off-roading, you're only going to use this trick if the engine isn't running, so there is nothing to stall.

I'm not an off-roader, but this is what I've read: If the engine dies and won't restart (maybe due to incline or mechanical failure) they like to be able to crank the starter continuously while in gear, so that the vehicle will ever-so-slowly inch it's way along.

Again, it's _strictly_ an emergency procedure since it's a good way to burn out the starter.

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that kind of situation in a Mustang, though. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
japhar81

I had a '92 4-cyl 5-speed convertible Mustang once that the clutch cable broke on it. You could push the clutch down, but it didn't do anything. I drove it probably 40 miles or so (most highway) to get it to my friend's garage, including a few red-lights.

I shut the car off and pulled the car out of gear and drifted to a stop. I'd put the car in 1st and hit the clutch (which did nothing but let the starter turn) and turned the key. Car would buck like crazy, but after a couple of revs and a little throttle it fired up and went. Synced the rest of the shifts and got the car in the garage without a tow truck. Most of the stops I rolled through bogging first a bit.

JS

Reply to
JS