guages on 68 mustang

I notice that my fuel,oil, temp guages stop working. What is the main source of harness responsible for those guages. Could it not be grounded correctly.

Reply to
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Quite possibly the resistor on the back of the gauge cluster on a

65/66... could be the same thing since all your gauges have stopped working.
Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Assuming you haven't made changes or have been working in the area, the first thing I would do is to replace the constant voltage regulator at the back of the instrument panel.

Reply to
c m prince

The commonality with these three gauges is the instrument 5 volt voltage regulator which is located on the back of the instrument panel.

Good tech article on the subject:

CCTGENE

Hi, The problem is that the cardboard "holders" on the back of the gage, have aged and weakened, allowing one of the gages to move. Then one of the elect term posts touches the housing, it grounds and shorts it out. FIX: Remove the gage cluster. Carefully remove the CB board and look at the gages, see two posts on each? At each side of the gage cardboard, there is a little tab that locks it to the housing, to hold it. What I did, was made a tracing of the cardboard and made a duplicate out of approx 1/16 inch plastic. I actually used a piece of plastic from when I added the leaf gutter guard to my house. It is hard but easy to work with and it does the job just fine. you cut the tracing and copy it to the plastic using a pencil. Then use scissors and razor blade to cut the plastic to the shape. Use a drill to cut the holes for the elect posts. Then check the fit. Be sure to make it accurate and include the two tabs on each side of the gage, that locks it into the housing. THIS IS what moves and allows posts to contact the housing. It sounds hard, but it is easy. I did the same on my

69 mustang, me and an engineer at honda figured it out

This is the fix ! Do NOT buy a new circuit board or CVR until you try this. Stan

rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang wrote:

Reply to
stan48312