Guys, need help...

It's actually with my truck, as the 5.0 is sleeping now, but the concepts are the same, so I'm hoping someone can help me... here's the deal for anyone who would like to help....

This just happened today. My 1980 Bronco, 351M, C6, with a Holley 600 and manual choke is flooding, I think, something fierce. Here's the deal, and I hope someone can help!

I'm driving it home today and it's running like a dream - like it always does. I just start to go down a steep hill and it suddenly just dies. Sputters and dies.

It won't start. But is cranking like mad. So I hold the gas to the floor and hold the key on. After a few seconds it starts something rough, black smoke billowing from the exhaust and the smell of gas. I take my foot off the gas, it idles good for two seconds then the idle drops down (as it should) and it sputters and dies quickly. It always starts with the gas pedal on the floor, but dies as soon as you take your foot off and the revs go down. It's impossible to drive, needless to say.

Also, the battery gauge has moved from dead centre towards the "C", about half way. Keeping the revs up makes it come back to the centre a bit. The battery is new and the connections tight. And it turns the starter like crazy!

Also, I noticed it was running a little hot today as the weather warmed up today and I had the grill bra on, but it was open, and the needle was still in the "normal" zone.

The truck has about 250K (150 miles) on it and I am the second owner. It has been exceptionally well taken care of, but I'm not sure how old the carb or ignition and fuel systems are, as it's always ran great and I never screwed with any of it.

I'm not sure what to do here. As long as you floor it to start it, it will start (with a lot of black smoke and a strong gas smell), but take your foot off the gas to put it in drive and it sputters and dies. Some gas comes sputtering out the top of the carb when it dies and then it smokes from the butterfly. (Setting the high idle with the manual choke does not help, nor did turning the idle screw to increase the idle.)

Well guys, until I can get some assistance in this group, I'm hoofing it. Please help if you can...

Thanks!

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

Sticking needle value and/or float would be my guess. Have you ever had the carb overhauled? At 250K I'm certain that it needs work.

Reply to
Richard

Richard... I haven't. I'm thinking the carb too. So, what would you say, rebuild or new? If the problems you say are a cheap fix, okay, but if not, should I just get a new one? And skip Holley? I had a 4bbl 640cfm on my '67 and it was just a problem. I've heard lots of people say Edelbrock is the way to go??? Help...

Thanks again!

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

Very possible a bad float. I had a similar porblem and that fixed it

Reply to
vince garcia

I'd say the carb was the problem also. I'd recommend a brand new carb rather that a rebuild. I've always run edelbrocks. Great carb. With a stock engine such as yours, I'd go with a 500 cfm. My '71 pickup runs great with this carb and has a stock, rebuilt 390. A 500 cfm, has smaller bores that help power at a lower RPM range which is great for the street.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've been running an Edelbrock on my chevy truck for about 14 years and have not had to do anything to it. Truck runs great!

Reply to
Lonnie

Thanks for the advice everyone! I suspect the same thing but it's nice to have someone second your opinion. I talked to Ford today and I'm going to take it in on Monday. They quoted me about 2 hours plus parts for a rebuild - seems to be the cheapest way to go right now. I hear they're not hard to rebuild, but I never have and I need the truck now... it's pretty cold outside. :)

Thanks again everyone for chipping in on my winter Mustang! :)

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

Haven't worked on a carb for 20 years. I'd do the quick and cheap (used to be) route by installing the basic carb overhaul kit. (new float, needle valves, gaskets, etc). Like I suggested it could just be a bit of dirt in the valve seat or a float that is faulty and a kit and cleaning will do the fix if that's all that's wrong.

Reply to
Richard

I used to run Holleys on my Chevys. I agree with Richard, installing an overhaul kit is an easy thing to do. The kits are not that expensive as I recall, though it's been nearly 20 years since I bought one.

Kate

| > Thanks again! | >

| > Brad | >

| > > -- | > > Richard | > >

| > > '94 GT 'vert | > > Under Drive Pulleys | > > Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit | > > High Stall Torque Converter | > > 4:10 Gears | > > Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded) | > > FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft | > > FRPP M5400-A Suspension | > > Laser Red | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate