H / X pipe question TIA

Is there any performance difference between H pipe makers like BBK, or Mac? And is getting the HTS coating worth the extra cash? I don't even know what HTS stands for High Temp S?.?

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

They'll all tell you that they are the dyno kings - I've got a magnaflow, and I would go with a coated pipe, they last longer, unless you get a stainless one. I've had two pipes and two exhausts on my machine in the last few years, and there was no real (read outside the variability of the dyno) difference. They all make good S..., most of it is personal preference - they sound different. Magnaflow did seem to put a little on the car, but the lights say not much -I think it's psychological and better gear grab on my part

Andrew

S>Is there any performance difference between H pipe makers like BBK, or

Reply to
Andrew Paule

The few things to keep in mind are.

H pipe

A little more low end compared to an X pipe Sounds great with chambered mufflers (aka Flowmaster, MAC flowpath) A deeper big block-ish sound.

X-pipe

Geared more toward top end power They get a little wired sound with chambered mufflers, most people like them with packed mufflers better (Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani) The sound once "up on the X" (around 3000) is a lot like an exotic sports car 180 degree headers. Some people compare it with a crotch rocket type motorcycle.

My personal setup is a BBK X pipe with Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers (chambered style). I like the tin can sound myself, but the wired X pipe/chamber muffler sound is kinda annoying.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Max Flows should sound fine. IIRC they are more of a packed muffler. I would suggest staying away from a BBK X-pipe. The common thought is they are little more than show, and X doesn't function the way it should leading to so odd sounds. Dr. Gas is the originator of the X pipe, and the one I had for my long tubes did sound much smoother than the BBK one I have now. I say go for it.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG