Head gasket or cooling fan circuit breaker?

I have a 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 which had the head gasket replaced during a recall in 2000. The engine has started to overheat and I took car to dealer who said he performed a head gasket leakage test and found that compression is getting into the cooling system, and there is a cylinder head and/or cylinder head gasket problem. He wants $1200 to do the work. A friend told me that normally when a head gasket needs replaced, there is loss of coolant. There's no leakage. The vehicle has a pending recall on the cooling fan circuit breaker. When the mechanic tested it, he said the cooling fans came on as designed and the engine didn't overheat. I'm really confused. I can't afford another $100 diagnosis. I'm afraid it could be something as simple as the thermostat, the cooling fan circuit breaker, not a $1200 head gasket (and then maybe a lot more if the cylinder head(s) are cracked. Any suggestions?

Reply to
vettelover47203

"vettelover47203" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

3.8's are notorious for head problems. $1200 to replace a head gasket sounds outrageous. Get a second opinion.

If the diagnosis is correct, you will have a buildup of pressure in the radiator and resulting overflow of coolant. Look for bubbles in the coolant reservoir while the engine is running. Listen for boiling/bubbling sounds coming from inside the radiator

The cooling fan is only a factor when the car is sitting still, as normal airflow through the radiator cools the engine when the car is moving.

The thermostat is always a suspect. I'd change it as a precautionary measure, and if that fixes the problem, you've saved yourself a bundle.

Reply to
elaich

I had the same problem 18 months ago with a '96 3.8 mustang.. Just enough leakage into cylinder to get a wiff of steam IF I shut down and restarted within 10 minutes... Any longer than that..no steam. Car ran great. Once had slight hydraulic lock of cylinder on startup. Ran hot on me prior to getting to shop (went up close to the top of "normal") I shut it down and had it towed.

I shopped around, I'm in the southeast US.. fly-by-night outfits wanted $$350 - $400 to throw in a set of head gaskets and do nothing more. I suspect they wouldn't have used NEW bolts were required either.. I paid a reputable company $1200 for .. Both head gaskets, new head bolts, have heads sent to specialty shop to check for cracks, warpage. I couldn't be more pleased with the work...

Sometimes you do get what you pay for... When it comes to something like head gasket problem.. go ahead and have it fixed right the first time (after you're sure that it's the problem) rather than having it done twice, and worring about where is it going to leave you stranded..

Reply to
Chuck

lmfao toasted engine god i love them before ya redoo heads on a 3.8 better check for bearing wash LMFAO

teach ya for buying a girlie 3.8 you foctard

h u r c a s t

Reply to
relic896
3.8's are known for intrenal leaks and wiping out the crank bearings. Happened to mine at 40k.Suggestions? Bars leak in the radiator run till hot (20-30 min) driving in lower gear better than idle. Trade quickly for an new 05. ;-) different dealer.

Robert Hooked

Reply to
Hooked 87