headswap for 96 4.6 SOHC

I hear from many that a great thing to do with my engine would be to get some new heads from Ford. Model year 99+. I realize this will cost me around $2000 after parts and labor. Some questions:

- How much extra horsepower (@ crank) will that add to my ~215? Torque?

- I see in a parts catalog it is possible for $3,400 to instead buy an entire new engine: "4.6 2v engine includes new block bored 0.20 over, Cobra crank, Eagle H-beams, ARP main studs, FM bearings, JE pistons, and all machine work." How do you all think this engine would perform vs. my current

4.6 with those new heads added?

- With either of those above setups, would it be advantageous to add underdrive pulleys and a timing adjuster?

Thanks! (still looking for new front seats - leather/saddle) Scott

96 GT Convertible 3.73 gears K&N Filtercharger
Reply to
Scotter

I'd suggest buying the new engine, installing it yourself and sell your old engine to get back some money.

Reply to
Mark

Probably will be comparable to a '99 and up GT.

Unless you're really stuck on your current car, I think it would just be easier/cheaper to get a better '99 and up GT.

U/D pullies have proven their worth over the years, and so has adding more timing. I say yes to both mods. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Some things to think about....

99+ heads will make your car run just slightly better than a 99+ GT, due to a slightly higher compression ratio, but for argument's sake, we'll call it the same as a 99+ GT. You're still running with the Cobra of the same year... bottom end torque is said to be greatly increased over both the pre '99 GT and Cobra.

This engine you talk about has no heads from your list of parts, and if that's the case, you are buying a short block. You will need to do the head install, so you're not saving yourself any money on that, and then you'll have to have someone pull the engine and put another one in, and when it's all said and done, all you have is a bulletproof bottom end that still can't put out much more than 215hp because your heads (that you had to take off of your other engine) still suck. 0.20 over won't get you more than a few ponies, and all the other parts do is ensure that things don't break under pressure. If you're looking to go with a supercharger in the future, go this route - just make sure you get a relatively low compression and that your parts are forged and not cast.

If this other engine does in fact have the 99+ heads, I'd say go for it, otherwise, just mod the one you have.

Word to the wise on the timing adjuster... if you do the headswap, don't get overzealous with it. You'll have a bit more compression and you'll need a bit less timing than a stock GT of your year.

Reply to
JS

JS pretty much nailed it. Just doing the headswap alone with no other mods will put you ahead of the stock 99-up crowd plus your car will respond better to any other engine-related mod you do from that point forward. The best deal I'm aware of on a complete headswap kit is from Joe Charles at Parkway Ford in Georgia (888-FORD-SVT) or Randy Stinchcomb at Liberty Ford in Maryland (410-655-2000 ext 5618). Both these guys really know their stuff when it comes to the mod motor setups.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

wow thanks for all the info! What does it mean to be "ported" or not? Is that something I choose when I buy the headswap kit or is it something the mechanic *does* when he is installing the new heads?

Reply to
Scotter

It's a machining process that typically refers to enlarging, smoothing, polishing etc. in the intake and exhaust ports of the heads. Depending on how radical the port job, and other work done (valve job, combustion chamber work, etc.) you can drop anywhere from $300.00 - $400.00 up to a couple of thousand for some of the real high end custom machine work.

Most people are finding good results on the 99-up headswaps with decent valve jobs and basic cleanup of the ports as long your talking about basic street car stuff. Check out

for other details and pricing. These guys are turning out some very nice stuff and definitely know what they're doing.