Help how old is too...

hello i have a couple of question i have a ford mustang 95 gt convertible i brought it used with 20,000 miles on it(car max used cars) now it has like 55,000, I dont know any thing about cars yet i want to learn to do it myself . anyway im 28 years old is that too old to start learning how to fix on cars??im thinking about buyin the factory helm book on the mustang 95 is it step by step pictures??will i be able to learn to install a engine or transmission with this book.? also i dont have a garage but a dirt back yard with gravel, will getting a ramp(looking at the rhino ramps) work here because i fear jacks for some reason also dont really know wear to put jacks stands under a mustang 95(i wish somebody can show me pictures where they surpose to be place)

and heres another thing i havent had a transmission flush or change and it seem to smell a little burnt i think ??i only have 55000, kinda afraid to chang it because i hear if you never change it after high miles and decide to chang it ,the tranny can go out after the change.because i dont want to change it and it go out since im broke, i think i might get it change after i save enough for transmission to be on the safe side.(how much does a transmission for 95 gt cost??? Far as how it runs my mustang at times vibirate at low speeds when it change gear sometimes.. from what i seen the 94 , and 95 mustangs does this i think it has something to do with its torque convertor i think...not sure any how give me your thoughts and what is a good beginner tool set ??that is affordable.thoughts on rhino ramps.??does the helms book show where to place jack stands under a mustang thank you

Reply to
MR

Hello & welcome to the group...

I've got a 98 Mustang GT.. before that I had a 97 V6 Mustang. First of all.. if you don't have an owners manual for your car.. get one ($15 give or take a few bucks). The owners manual will tell you all you need to know about maintenance intervals.. and I believe the repair manuals say a bit as well. Both will tell you how to lift the car with a jack & where to put jackstands. Next... Helms manuals are expensive ($150 approx.) but I hear they're well worth the money from everybody that has one. I have a Haynes Repair Manual & a Chiltons Repair Manual... both have helped me & I'm glad I have both. As far as being too old... I don't think you're even close. Maybe if you were 80 & had back problems... then I'd say you're a little too old. Is your 95 GT a standard or automatic? (I thought they were all standards). IIRC, 95 GT is a 5.0. Anyway... Rhino Ramps are pretty decent.. they can be had for about $15-$20.

will show you how to build your own ramps.. but eh... i'd rather just buy some (cheaper in fact just to buy 'em). I'd save up a few bucks & get a good quality toolset that has all your basic tools.. ratchet, wide variety of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers (or screwdriver bits w/ a single screwdriver), etc. I bought a big set from Sears on sale for about $90 and they're like new after about 2 years (Craftsman)... of course they have a lifetime warranty.. so that helps. As far as installing an engine or transmission.. both require quite a bit of experience I'd say.. so you've got a ways to go. I also noticed you mentioned you have a dirt back yard.. is it fairly dusty where you live? I'd check your air filter element if you haven't changed it already. Best way to learn, IMHO, is by experience. It's a good idea to have a buddy or family member watching you as you work though... at least checking on you every now & then to make sure the car didn't fall on you or anything ;). Start out by doing some basic maintenance things.. changing the air filter.. changing your own oil & filter... drain/flush/refill coolant.. whatever you think you can do. If you have questions... you can post to this NG & generally somebody will try to help you if they can.. most of the people here are very experienced. Good luck with everything =).

-Mike

"MR" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
<memset

Rein

if you dont have a concrete floor, dont use ramps or jack stands at all.. they can go down and sink into the mud or gravel when you are under the car and then its all over for you.. no car is worth your life.. if you dont the equipment or location to work under a car then dont do it.. its not worth it.... as far as the stuff under the hood, just take up a class at a local school or jr. college that teaches automotive repairs/ the kind that tells you how to change the oil, replace the battery, install spark plugs, etc.. i had it easy in the old days the cars were alot easier to work on, you had room in the engine compartment and could find books locally that would explain just about every system in a car and you could understand it if you were mechanically inclined..today the cars have so much electronics in them, even being mechanincally inclined the electronics might get you if you not that up on electronics or have the tools to check out electronic modules...... used to be able to use a multimeter and some basic tools to do just about everything electrical on a car...... alot simpler days in the past.. the days of the shade tree mechanics are just about over.....

Reply to
jim

Whew! You said alot! I noticed a couple of things that I'd recommend to you...

First... never, never,never use ramps, jack stands, or lifts on a non-paved surface. You will probably be killed. As a minimum get a 10x20 concrete pad poured to work from, if you have no concrete on your property.

If you're transmission fluid smells burned, take it to good transmission shop for a check...most good shops offer free inspections. Changing fluid and filter is not recommended until you get it checked.

Take a class at a local tech school. You'll gain considerable general knowledge, at least enough to understand a repair manual, specific to your car.

Lastly, be prepared to spend alot of money on tools, if you're just starting out. Sometimes its just cheaper in the long run to take the car to professionals, because the personal expenses of making a repair are too high.

Lastly, know your limits. If you don't think you can fix it, you can't.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mustang_66

it seem like a transmission shop will just tell it burned or you need a new transmisiom so you can let them fix or change your fluid $$$..

yeah tools cost for sure

thank everybodu for your info

Reply to
MR