Help! Lost keys to '70 Mustang ragtop

Yeah, I know... BONEHEAD!!! But anyway, I lost the keys to my '70 convertible. I have ordered a new lock set including ignition and doors (keyed alike) and trunk. The doors to the car were unlocked and I can get through the trunk by removing the back seat. The problem is in the ignition switch. From what I recall, you need the key in order to remove the ignition cylinder. does anyone know how I can get around this? Dear God, if I can solve this problem, I solemnly swear to make at least three copies of said keys and leave one in my safe, one in my safety deposit box and maybe even have one surgically implanted in an easily accessible (and seldom used) body part. Seriously, if anyone can help, this Canuck who is sick of snow (got 4 inches today!) would love to be toolin' around in his ragtop within two weeks.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
lxixboss

Use a coat hanger or whatever to open a door lock and get inside. You'll wreck something going in through the trunk, unles the vert backseat is attached differently than any backseat I've ever taken out.

Once inside take off the door trim and remove the lock cylinder for one of the doors. Take the lock cylinder to a locksmith and have him make a key for you. You could have him come to you, but that will really cost you. Once you have a new key made just put the lock cylinder back in and you're good to go.

Reply to
Brent P

DOh... read that part backwards.... never mind... just take the trunk lock cylinder in as well or just swap it out

Reply to
Brent P

Locksmith

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Wow. Amazingly educated response, dickweed.

Reply to
Jack Sparrow

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 01:00:59 GMT, Jack Sparrow puked:

Actually, it is a good idea. I lost my only key on the road years ago, and AAA sent a locksmith out to cut me a new key in the McDonald's parking lot.

Hell of a lot cheaper than pulling all the cylinders and ignition switch, smartass...

lab~rat >:-)

I don`t really know why Jack Sparrow was so snarky. To me, the locksmith option was the cheapest/easiest/most elegant (just sorry I didn't have the common sense to think of it myself. All I had to do was pull one door cylinder and the trunk cylinder. I brought them to a locksmith and he did it while I waited.

Locksmith's fee: twenty bucks Extra keys: $5.25 Being able to get back into my ragtop just in time for the nice weather: priceless.

Thanks to all who replied.

Richard '70 Mustang convertible '65 fastback GT350 clone

Reply to
lxixboss