Help! Programming keyless remote 2004 Mustang

I have a 2004 Mustang Convertible. I have only 1 keyless remote. Do I have to go to the dealer to get another copy. I want to have a spare. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Can I buy some remotes on ebay and let the "dealer" program for me as this may be cheaper than buying the remote from a dealer on ebay. Thanks for help.

Duke

Reply to
duke1234

I don't know if this also applies to the Mustang at all, but, I got a remote for my girls Jeep Liberty off ebay for $12.00 and it came with instructions on how to program it. I had to program her original remote and the new remote together but, after following the instructions, both remotes worked pefectly.

The dealer wanted $75.00 for the remote plus an hourly rate to program it. I saved a ton of money.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

I bought spare remotes for my 98 Cobra on Ebay but if I recall correctly they had to be programmed by the $tealership. Like Robert said the remotes are expensive retail, but you can save some money online. You might ask one of the sellers if it comes with destructions for programming. I know that KEYS are easy enough.

KJKate

: > Duke : >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I second EBAY for this. WAY cheaper. You might be able to program the remote yourself. Do a search on Google.

Reply to
RT

If you only have one remaining key, the security system will have to be reprogrammed at the Ford dealership to delete the previous program, and put in a new one, while at the same time programming the new keys. If you had two, you could have done it by yourself.

Reply to
Carfan

You should try to match the numbers on the back of the remote with the one you're buying. Some will interchange, but I don't have the list in front of me. The programming procedure is in your owners manual. It's basically:

1) Have all remotes with you 2) Sitting in the car, key the ignition on and off eight times in rapid succession. The door locks will cycle once as confirmation 3) Hit one button on each remote you wish to program.

Caution: It's advisible to do this out of sight of the neighboors. It's possible for anyone nearby to program their remote to open your car if they key it at the right time.

Also, this is a good procedure to go through if you suspect a previous owner may have retained a remote to your car as it resets all remotes and renders them useless on your car.

Reply to
TM

I do only have 1 key. Which I have to go to dealer to get another key made. Apparenty, there is no choice it seems. But I will try the above methods for my keyless remotes.. Thanks

Reply to
duke1234

Reply to
Chuck