help solve this severe problem with 90 GT

If I go in reverse and let the clutch engage the whole way my car will spit, sputter, idle surge severely, get a check engine light for an instant, shut off and blow smoke.

If I slip the clutch excessively it will back up fine.

I cleaned the connections for the sensors on the tranny and it still does it.

I checked overall sensors under the hood and the wiring under the motor (O2 sensors) and everything looks good. Triple checked the ground and looked at the battery terminals. All looks good.

Something that leads me to believe now that it is a sensor or switch causing the problem is that right when i start the car up for the first time that day it will back up fine. After it is warmed up and reading all sensors it starts the crap it has been doing.

A stanger on stangnet told me to bypass the fuel cutoff/inertia switch and check to see if it does it then. Anyone else think its the inertia switch? Any other switches that could cause this?

Reply to
Dan
** If I go in reverse and let the clutch engage the whole way my car will spit, ** sputter, idle surge severely, get a check engine light for an instant, shut ** off and blow smoke.

What error codes do you get?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Pulling them tomorrow. My car doesn't stay at my house. Will the code be stored in the memory? the CE light comes on just for a brief second and then goes out..

Reply to
Dan

Pulling them tomorrow. My car doesn't stay at my house. Will the code be stored in the memory? the CE light comes on just for a brief second and then goes out..

Reply to
Dan

Pulling them tomorrow. My car doesn't stay at my house. Will the code be stored in the memory? the CE light comes on just for a brief second and then goes out..

Reply to
Dan
** Pulling them tomorrow. My car doesn't stay at my house. Will the code be ** stored in the memory? the CE light comes on just for a brief second and then ** goes out..

Yes, they will still be there for several dozen start cycles if it was an intermittant code, and longer if continous. It won't tell you exactly what's wrong, but will give you a good place to start looking. Jim Warman is more qualified than I to help you diagnose and repair the problem after you pull the error codes. I am only a novice guru.