Help Troubleshooting

Dummy dash battery light is on dim at idle and brightens as rpm increases. Belt tension is OK, battery reads 14.4 V (alternator seems to be working) when charging. Battery is at approx 12.6V after sitting. Car has stalled a few times when turning but can be started right back up. I was thinking I have a bad ground to the engine block ? Might just change the cable from the battery to the block but thought I would ask for people's comments. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
SandMan

Have you cleaned your battery posts and cables?

Had the alternator TESTED? (Kragen, PepBoys & so on test for free)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks for the response. Battery posts and connectors are spotless, battery was slow charged on a charger and the alternator was rebuilt and tested. I have contacted the alternator shop and I am getting it re-tested this morning.

Reply to
SandMan

SandMan opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's a bad VR light output transistor

I got a rebuilt alternator with the same problem. Since I could tell that the alt was working from the dash voltmeter, and a DVM check at the terminals confirmed that. I have just driven it with the lite on.

Too much trouble changing pulleys

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I pulled the second wire off my aftermarket one wire alternator ... light is now off. I hated having to spin the alternator to get it to start charging but I am no longer blinded by the light. Thanks.

Reply to
SandMan