Help w/ rough idle and poor gas mileage

Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20 minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any ideas?

I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means it is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around

2000 rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in Florida. Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.
Reply to
Pepito

Pepito opined in news:2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspringcom:

Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

What's a 192?

Reply to
Pepito

It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water from the block to flow through the radiator.

Reply to
John

John opined

Sorry...it's the designed temp for the engine I ONLY said the number to state that there is NO advantage to going with a lower number and it is potentailly harmful..

and on that note... if the engine has been operating that way for any length of time, the inside is probably a mess and sludgy... check inside your filler and on your dipstick for wipeable deposits

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the info J

Reply to
Pepito

Could the temperature be the cause of rough idle and poor gas mileage?

Reply to
Pepito

I'd like to see a show of hands of those that did or did not understood you meant all that with "Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then". It definitely went over my head.

Reply to
John

*raises hand in the "did" column*

JS

Reply to
JS

You've got the 2.3L engine, which means the fan is governed by the CCRM and ECM. Unless your model year is designed differently than the 93s, the fan should operate under the following conditions:

Engine temp reaches 221 degree threshold-->fan on Engine temp drops down to 200 degree threshold-->fan off

A/C on with lack of air flow due to vehicle speed; 43mph or lower-->fan on, and at 48mph-->fan off.

Note: All above operations are with the ignition switch to run position only.

If the fan starts instantly with a cold engine for instance, you may have a defective CCRM, ECM, ECM receiving false inputs or possibly the previous owner has modified the fan operation. I would first suspect the CCRM (constant control relay module). All of this might explain the engine having difficulties warming up, hence poor fuel economy among other things. Again, the fan is NOT suppose to constantly operate when the ignition is in the run position. This is the impression I'm getting from your post.

If the t-stat has been removed by the previous owner, you can check for max coolant flow after starting a cold engine. If replacement is needed, install a 192 degree t-stat like B/M already mentioned...HTH

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Thanks for the output Mike, isn't the CCRM supposed to give me a computer error code if it was faulty? I have no error codes present at this moment. Looks like the fan is "set" to operate as soon as you open the ignition. A lot of people do that to their old cars in Florida when their fans start to fail.

Reply to
Pepito

My CCRM failed & no codes were set. I wired a switch to my fan... and I usually just leave it on.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Pepito

Reply to
<memset

Looks like the thermostat is working fine, there is no flow through the radiator when the car is started cold, takes a couple of minutes for the engine to warm and lower the rpms.

Rough idle still there bothering the hell out of me and poor gas mileage anyone have an idea what can cause this problems?

Reply to
Pepito

Reply to
John Smith

I was thinking about replacing the spark plugs and wires, what is the "MIL"?

Reply to
Pepito

"Malfunction Indicator Light," AKA the check engine light.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

X-No-archive:yes I just had the identical problem and was baffled for a long time until it got worse and I realized that I had a leaking manifold gasket.If I sprayed carb cleaner at the manifold the idle went up and smoothed out.I checked every possible leak source and found nothing so I replaced the(broken)intake mani gasket and all is smooth now.Will have to replace the Cat Conv.too as that was ruined (I thinks). I would check for vac.leaks and EGR valve malfuntion.

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

Thanks for the info Garth, no MIL or error codes present. If this helps, there's also a strong gas smell coming from the exaust, clear smoke but smelly.

Reply to
Pepito

Pepito opined

you said it took a long time for the engine to warm... does it, or not?

But your PROBLEM is not a manifold leak... it's PROBABLY a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator... if you disconnect the tubing (to the upper intake) from the little can attached to the fuel rail, I bet you'll find there's gas in it.

Even if there isnt change it anyway.. it WILL fail.

Must be the season... this is about the 4th I've seen on here and the ford group in a month.

This would account for a slighly longer warm-up than usual and often doesnt set the light because the leak is slight enough that the ECM adjusts.

The 88 didnt set lite for much of anything other than O2 errors anyway.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks BM, the engine takes like 2 or 3 minutes to warm up. Where is the Fuel Pressure Regulator located?

Reply to
Pepito