help with idea

what transmission do i use for a 3.0 v-6, but need it to be rear wheel drive any suggestion appriciated at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
Gerard Menard

Wasn't the 3.0 a Taurus FWD engine? Maybe the SHO engine?

You're looking into customizing a lot of stuff if so - motor mounts, bellhousing/flywheel/flexplate of whichever transmission you choose, and a whole lot of other things. If this is a FWD engine, I'd bet that none of the transmissions will just bolt up. You may get lucky enough to get a flywheel/flexplate to match the crank, but I even doubt that.

It'll be cheaper to get a RWD engine to put in an RWD car. MUCH cheaper.

JS

Reply to
JS

Gerard Menard opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3234.bay.webtv.net:

The 3.0 RWD is used in aerostar (I just bought one) and was offered on Ranger, IIRC, in the early nineties.

I personally think this is a dumb idea... the Vulcan is about the most bulletproof V-6 engine ford ever made and it gets pretty good gas mileage but it's SLOW and I dont think there's much performance equipment made for it.

Note there's a differnce in blocks between RWD and FWD models as well as the accessories mounts.

As to the trans... the only smart way to do it would be to buy a wrecked Ranger or Aerostar so you can get everything at once... it'll STILL be a lot of work

I'd go for a 3.8 instead... lot easier and a lot more upgrade parts to choose from. And because of the aluminum heads, not much heavier than the Vulcan

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Check out the 4.0 V6 used in rangers, vortech offers a supercharger for it.

Reply to
Dan

Short answer: the A4LD.

BUT... get an entire donor vehicle - you will need it. Why the 3.0L? It's an incredibly durable engine, but only 140 HP at best in RWD configuration.

No rocket, but a smooth & broad powerband. I was keeping up w/ a

3-series BMW down on the NYS Thruway several weeks ago just to see how fast they were really going (passed me pretty quick) and my Vulcan Taurus was keeping up at 108 MPH... very smooth too. Sheesh they were in a big hurry. Anyone know what a 1997 Taurus is top-speed governed for? That had to be pretty close.

Our 3.0 Aerostar topped out at about 95-96(but it's a heavy rolling brick). I had to keep hitting "reset" on the trip computer though, the speedo topped out @ 85 MPH.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
carl

Reply to
Wound Up

The rev limiter was set where it was because Ford was afraid that the accessories couldn't withstand anything more. The engine was good for another 1200+ RPM.

That was a great little engine. Not too much was ever done for performance parts though, correct?

JS

Reply to
JS

That makes sense. Man, did that thing scream. At 7000ish, it sounded serious, but really good, too... SHOs would give 5.0s a decent run for their money as I recall, moreso on road courses than on the strip

Yes, was it ever. I don't think much was ever done aftermarket for it... maybe a bigger throttle body, other intake improvements, injectors, exhaust and the like. But as far as internals, I don't believe anything was available. Personally, I think it was just FINE the way it was... best with a stick, of course...

Reply to
Wound Up