Hemmings Muscle Machines Magazine ROCKS!!

I reported about this magazine a while ago. I got my second issue the other day. It's sub-titled as the "Ultimate All-American Performance Car Magazine", and it is! This magazine flat out rocks! The featured cars, the awesome pictures, the diversity of products, and the quality editorials... it has it all!

Here's a breakdown on this issue's content:

On the cover is the 1970 Superbird and Ford's Torino King Cobra.

- Hershey's AACA Swap Meet

- 1975 Cosworth Vega

- 1974 Dodge Charger

- Automotive Transportation

- 2004 Saturn Ion

- Aero Warriors (Cover story)

- 1974 AMC Gremlin X

- Mr. Norm

- Pro Stock Racing

- Catalog Directory

- Cougar Buying Guide

- 1965 GTO

- 2004 Dodge SRT-4

The featured car and pics are enough to buy this magazine, but what REALLY puts it over the top are the editorials. They are very insightful! I especially like _Hib Halverson's_, and Ken Gross and Ray Bohacz's stuff.

Check out this magazine! You won't be disappointed. It earns a NoOp's Two Thumbs up rating.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

What if you like Buicks and hate seeing cars like a Saturn, Dodge 4 cylinder, or even the Cosworth Vega associated with the term "muscle machine", then would you still like it? Actually, rumor has it they're searching for Riv's right now. But they're also including those from the 70's and 80's... 'ick!

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

The featured Dodge SRT-4 ripped off a 12.65 @ 109 mph, with only $1,500 in mods (no NOS). Fast enough to put most traditional muscle machines on the trailer. The Saturn's Eco-Tech motor was dynoed at

1,100 horsepower, but was dialed back to only 475 to run 220 mph flat out. Displacement isn't needed to make a muscle machine anymore. Further proof is a car Hot Rod magazine recently featured. Check it out:
Now tell me that car doesn't have _muscle_.

The Cosworth is in there for just historys sake. And while it only put of 95 horsepower, with the removal of its stock catalytic convertor, it was able to see 160. A 70 horsepower increase...boy oh boy, has emission equipment come a long ways in 30 years!

Me...I like variety. I can only read about a make or model for so long before I get bored. Reading about other vehicles breaks ups the boredom and gives you a fresh/new viewpoint. Variety is good! Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

No thanks. There are motorcycles that destroy these times. I'm not interested in them either. I haven't seen a Saturn that was anything other than ugly and that's about the best I can say about them. I just don't care about these cars.

It doesn't have muscle. Muscle to me starts with torque. 12.65 @ 109 is kind of sad. Try 11.69 @ 112, shifting at 5200 rpm (my friend Rick's 462 Skylark). Oh yeah, he got 18 mpg out of it running a 750 cfm Quadrajet too (ran 11.98 with that carb and a full trunk). Now that's muscle. Hell, I went 13.43 @ 99 mph and never saw over 101 mph with that car. As far as Hot Rod goes... I don't read it. It's becoming an import magazine.

Yep, gotta love those old cats!

I'll pass, at least for my own reasons. I do read about other cars, when considering something for my wife. I'd love for her to get a G35 coupe, or even the mini that she likes (gotta be the "S" though!). I'm sure I'd enjoy driving them too. I'd also be cool with one of the supercharged Buicks. I just wish they made a coupe. The Grand Prix GTPs are cool too, but that ended when they updated the body and got rid of the coupe. I'm also one of the rare people who likes the new GTO. Not only that, I wish they'd make a Buick version, call it a Skylark GS, then add a higher powered version as a Stage 1.

I'll pass on the SRT or Saturns. There are plenty of magazines that feature them, and none of them have anything to do with "muscle", IMO.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

But we're comparing cars.

That SRT-4 is running as fast as a new blown Cobra or tweaked LS1 F-body.

just don't care about these cars.

I'm not a Saturn fan either, but I respect an automaker who spends time squeezing 1,100 horses out of 127 cubes. And I find it interesting.

I see it this way. I could sit here and listen to the same old songs off of the same old records, but it would bore the shit out of me. Much like classic rock radio stations. Where they name an artist they're going to play in the next segment, and you right then what song they're going to be playing. I just can't take that. Not over and over again. I need some variety. Let me learn about something new once in a while.

Tell that to the owner of the '92 Viper that she beat during that run.

Her Neon was running street tires. Her 60-foot was a 1.886. What was your buddy's street-tire numbers?

I like their new variety. Beats another '69 Camaro build up.

It's suprising those cars were able to run at all.

That G35 is nice!

A Mini would be cool, and an S version even better.

Wouldn't rather drive any of these instead of your truck...?

I like it too, and think many more will like them when they finally drive one.

There'll be 400+ horsepower versions of the new GTO. You can bank on it.

Shep's Eclipse has run an 8.7 @ 165 mph.

You should really read about this car. It'll redefine your definition of muscle. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Yes, but I'm as interested in one of these cars as I am in a motorcycle... I'm not.

Interesting, maybe... but we won't see it on the street. Even if we did, "we" wouldn't be affording it. And at the same time I wouldn't want one.

Well, I could listen to my favorite stations because I know the "type" of music I will hear. If I'm listening to an alternative rock station I do not want to hear Top 40. If I'm listening to a rock station, I do not want to hear Top 40. If I'm listening to a country station - waitaminute, that would never happen. Now, if I'm listening to one of my favorite stations and they started playing Madonna, Britney, etc... I would quit listening to that station. Now if they played the newest version of what is appropriate for the station, I'm good with that. So what I'm saying is that there are new cars that belong on my station, and there are new songs that don't. The SRT-4 is Christina Aguillera even if it sells more songs faster than new GTO (Linkin Park). I'll still listen to Linkin Park - it interestsme.

Hey 92 Viper owner... you lost to a car without muscle! Oh yeah... you don't drive a muscle car either!

I don't know since he usually runs on Hoosier DOT tires... I think he's in the low 1.6's.

Well, you'll be happy as they lose their base readers and acquire more import readers. To me, they're like the radio station I used to listen to. They started out spinning of from the only local rock station. Then, they started mixing in some pop and the occasional classic rock song. They had no focus or core audience. They tried to refocus on rock, but in the meantime another rock station came along and took all of rock core. They ended up completely folding. I think they have country on that station now, but I really don't know.

Very nice! It's too bad we're not in a position to get her something right now.

I would hope that if we were to go that way some day, that we wouldn't consider anything other than the top of the line model for her. She's been driving a base model car for 8 years.

Not really. I'd actually rather have a 5.0 notch for a daily driver again. But, with the house I'd want to have a truck still - just not this one.

I hope so, otherwise it probably won't do really well. If the F-bods return, it may get lost in the shuffle too. I hope not, since I've got fingers crossed for a GS version... mmmmmmmmm portholes! :)

Probably not. I've stuck with it pretty consistently over the years. Now if Dodge would start putting the "it's got a Hemi" into some mid-sized cars, I may be interested. Please get the RWD too.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Isn't that amazing? It's like Ford has totally detuned the Cobra. Of course it's obvious that with 1500.00 you'd be well into the 11's with an '03 Cobra.

I feel the same way. I quit buying CC and Hot Rod (or subscribing) years ago because I thought if I had to read through another SBC build up I was going to hurl. Jesus, how many times can you read about a cam swap in a '69 SBC Camaro and actually be interested? You can't. If HR is featuring imports, there is a reason. The main reason a lot of guys have the negative attitude about imports that they do is ignorance. (NOT directed at you Steve) When bone stock EVO Lancers, STi WRX's and SRT-4 Neons are running 13's pretty much out of the box you can't snuff your nose and chalk it up to ricer mentality. These cars f'ing ROCK...PERIOD. Hell, if I had the money I'd be in an '03 Cobra, but I'd sure as hell be driving an WRX STi and EVO before making that decision. I've got an in-car vid of Shepard's Eclipse during a sub-9 second run. DON'T tell me that car doesn't have muscle! Any car running 155 mph in a quarter mile has muscle in my book!!

:-) Tell that Viper owner that they just got beat by a car costing 1/3 the money :-)

Amen!! (However I lust after '69 Camaros...I just don't wanna read about another one!)

IS that the 350-Z equivelent?

My Brother is looking at the new RX-8. Sat in one...wasn't impressed but the proff is in the test drive.

Yeah, I agree. Who cares that it looks like a Grand Am :-) It's still cool.

See above. I dig this car. Not because I own a turbo Mitsu. I'm not loyal to the DSM cars, but that is a stock block car that is remarkable simple running

8's now. It's even LOOKS stock. that car would be the ultimate sleeper with the exception of the interior...but 15% tint would fix that :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

My friend Doug (the one I bought the T-Type from) has a NICE 93 Notch FS. It's teal with chrome ponys. You'd love it!

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

I don't know that I'd consider my attitude negative towards import (as you side-noted), more that I'm just not interested in them for myself. I do pay attention to them and the performance they offer. I was even subscribed to a WRX board for a while. But over time, I lost interest in it and don't even know the address to it anymore.

I'm not interested in a 69 Camaro buildup either, but I have paid some attention to the Chev small blocks and the cheap power they're offering these days. That 350 HO crate motor is a pretty cheap piece that easily will put out 400 hp and solid torque numbers with very little changed.

Yes, it's the Inifiniti "version". It seats 4 and also comes in a 4 door. I wasn't able to sit in one at the auto show though, because they were full of teenagers. I've heard the foot room in the back is good in the coupe, because it's the same as the sedan. The problem is the roof rake. I'm barely 5'9" and I think I'd be a little tall in the back. But I'm guessing it still would probably feel roomier than the back of my wife's 95 Civic.

My friend sat in one. He's 6'4" and seemed to fit. It was fun watching him enter and exit though. :) I'm not really interested in them though.

I almost traded one of my Copstangs for an Eagle Talon TSI (1st gen). I really liked being able to dump the clutch on wet pavement and not just sit still. It seemed pretty ideal for the Pac NW. I got cold feet and didn't do the deal. I can't say that I've regretted it either.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Probably, but I'm not in the market right now. With the new house coming earlier that the original plan, I've still got some wedding to deal with. Plus, I'm currently eyeing a set of heads that I don't really need yet either. I need to work some more OT!!!

Hopefully, when the time comes, I'll find a 5.0 notch with around 70,000 miles on it for around $4000. I've noticed the prices have started come down a bit in this area. I still think they're way overpriced considering their age now.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

Yeah, but the whole car including the $1500 in mods cost less than a GT let alone a Cobra. That's mind-boggling.

Joe

Yup :-) I think all things considered the only thing that would honestly prevent me from buying one of the new micro-rockets is size. At 37, and 225 I'm not interested in a small car. Hell, this Talon is hell on my back some mornings :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com:

I hear ya. That's one of the reasons I bought the truck. ;)

BTW, just got a digi cam - stay tuned for pix.

Joe

Oh, don't bring up motorcycles... I have a nawing desire to get one of those too.

"Interesting" is maybe not enough to buy, but it's good enough to read about, and that's why I'm happy to see it in Hemmings.

I know you're not a car show person, but the shows you have attended, aren't the ones that only feature an era, make, or model boring? I think they are. I find the car shows that feature stuff that could have rolled off a "Walton's" TV show set, all the way up to the lastest models, and everything in between to be the best/most interesting car shows.

Mid 12s/109mph. This SRT-4 is more like Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Shoot, Christina Aguillera would have to do an Alanis Morissette changeover to be this SRT-4.

The point is the Viper's "muscular torque" wasn't enough to beat this SRT-4.

Again, the point is, his 462 cubic-inch Buick isn't anymore muscular than this SRT-4. Both are capable of running around mid 12's/110 mph on street tires. I'd say they're _both_ very muscular.

I see it another way. I see it as a rock station that won't play anything beyond Elvis, Beetles, Led Zepelin, Van Halen, Nirvana...you pick the stopping point. And when bands like the White Stripes, Kings of Leon, or the Strokes show up, for some reason they're considered not worthy enough. Or perhaps it's bands from a few years ago like Collective Soul, Sublime or Linkin Park because they didn't quite fit their traditional sound. Maybe I just see things from a different perspective. But to me, Van Halen didn't sound anything like Led Zepelin, Led Zepelin was nothing like the Beetles, and the Beetles were nothing like Elvis. But now, years later, they're all Rock & Roll. They're all in the same family. I feel the same with our performance cars. Is it really going to matter where they where built, or what size engine they have under the hood? I guess to some it will. Just like it probably mattered to the builders of the old

50's hot rods when Hot Rod magazine started including 60's muscle cars. But I think in the future the only thing that'll matter is that they all hurled our asses down the 1320 at break-neck speeds. The point here is the definition of muscular continues to get redefined.

I know how that is. I'll soon have two in college. My son has been accepted to three colleges so far (Tulane, Stetson, Florida State), but he's shooting for Ivy League. Oh, the (financial) pain!

But finances aside, a G35 would be pretty cool.

I just hope the market responds, because Detroit is banking on it. They have a whole lot of RWD cars coming to market soon.

As for the GTO itself, SLP is planning on three versions. One with

370HP, one with 389, and a big dog version packing 421. However, both SLP and GM are fighting over the use of the "Judge" name, as I guess GM wants to make their own super GTO.

Here's a snippet: On memory.. stock block, stock axles/trans/gears, stock rocker arms, stock shifter/console, stock body panels (except for a lighter weight hood) no tubs and 8.7s. If that isn't factory muscle, I don't know what is.

I'd like to see a Hemi in a stretched version of the Crossfire. Hello, new Mustang fighter!

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Like I put in another response. Hot Rod finds itself at another turning point. A turning point just like when they shifted from 50's hot rods to factory muscle cars, and when they went from "classic" muscle cars to the modern versions, only now it's domestics to imports. It's either roll with the changes or die.

You _could_ if it was _only_ running 155 mph in the 1/4. But it's running 165. ;-)

Me too! And I hope GM builds a new version. Then I'll be more than happy to read more Camaro build ups, at least for a while.

Yes.

I think the new RX-8 is a "toe" testing the waters in the muscle car pond. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

And it's only going to get more mind-boggling. The good thing is the more performance cars that get tossed into the market the better the prices will get.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I'd rather know that I could find it in a magazine with similar cars. If I want to read about it, I will.

The last car show I went to was this year's International Auto Show. I really liked the FX45. I didn't care at all for the Murano though. I also dig a couple of the Ferraris. I sat in the Marauder - it needs more motor. Nothing else really grabbed me.

Bummer. It still doesn't make me interested in it enough to want it mixed along with the things that I am interested in.

-shrug- I'm still not interested in the SRT-4. I'm guessing it weighs a lot less than his 4000lb+ Buick? None the less, I don't expect it in a magazine about "muscle machines". It seems like the magazines that feature them has the word "tuner" in it. Wait, maybe it's "tUneR". :)

Classic rock stations play classic rock. They have a target audience and sell advertising towards that audience. As a result, I know where to find them if that's the itch I need scratched. The same goes for other genres of music or talk radio. Maybe when NPR starts putting Tom Leykis on, I'll consider changing my position. Or I'll consider it a Saturn in a muscle magazine... out of place.

Yep, and I still have a car I want to buy that has title issues right now. On top of that I just found a screaming deal on a set of race ported heads and matching intake that I don't really need.

Sure, but not for my daily driver. It wouldn't make sense to hop into a mid $30K vehicle to drive it 9 minutes to a park and ride lot, where it would sit from 5:00 am until 4:30 pm.

I hope so. It would be nice if I could be in the market for something in a few years when things are "perfected".

Sounds like the issue for had with "Cobra" years back. I don't know what's worse... that they failed to use it over the past 30 years, or that it would have been a joke for 25 of those years on any of the vehicles that they offered. I like the 389 and 421 numbers... nostalgia. Now they need to buck up and put out a RAVII version packing 455 horse!!!

Only 2650 lbs! Is that what they weigh down at the ol' used car dealer?

8.7's are moster times, but beyond what you listed (and maybe stock headliner), there isn't much stock anymore. It's much further from stock than I was feeling like I'd find when I got there. I guess they made a pretty solid block and a trans that can be built to take the power.

I don't see it as factory muscle though. There's not much factory left that makes it goes 8's. Did they come with direct port nitrous, Ross pistons, and Groden rods???

I wouldn't know a Crossfire if I saw one.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

...and the same reason I'll be in a 5-series BMW when I get out of school.

Cool! You need to get your website up and running again. I used to keep it bookmarked.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

And obviously I like variety -- Cosworth Vega, SRT-4, 318-powered '74 Charger, Saturn, Gremlin X -- tossed in to learn about something new.

My next-door neighbor has a FX45. I like the low roof, but over all I think it looks a bit too chunky. I find the Murano much better looking. Not sure about it's CVT trans though.

Funny... 10 years ago an affordable 300-horsepower RWD sedan would have been a smash hit. But now in 2004 it barely makes a blip on enthusiasts' radar screens. A car that back in the 60's would probably be rated at about 360-375 horses, now doesn't pack enough. Now we (myself included) think this car should have about 400 net HP. We're a demanding bunch.

It makes me want to take one for a test drive. The '04s have 10 more horses and a limited slip. Two things her SRT-4 didn't have.

It's because muscle is being redefined again. It's no longer just tUnerR, it's now Hot Rod and Hemmings. MM&FF also features 4 cylinder stuff.

But don't fret. I wouldn't be too suprised to see the Evo and WRX/STi get 6s or even V8s in the future because Mitsu has said their American Evo will "evolve differently" from their Japanese version. If so, that could mean cars like Saturn's Redline Coupe and Dodge's SRT-4 may add inches/cylinders in the future too. Who knows?

"Classic rock" continues to evolve. When I grew up it was all Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Who, Led Zepelin, ect. As a generation starts to die off they shift their playlists to newer stuff. By the time my son is my age, they'll be playing stuff like Limp Bizkit on classic rock stations. And Limp Bizkit is nothing like Led Zepelin, or even Van Halen.

I think Hemmings is aiming at something other than the traditional "we only love an era, make, model" target audience. Because even the "classics" they feature are not the average run-of-the-mill stuff. They don't just feature '57 Chevys, '65 Mustangs, 69 Z/28s, '70 Hemi 'Cudas. They look for the more obscure makes and models of "classics, and then they toss in some modern stuff, but even then it's not the usual T/A Firebirds and 5.0 Mustangs. They go after the fringe stuff even if that means FWD SRT-4s and Saturns. I like that... give this traditional Detroit, V8, RWD guy something new he can learn about even if it doesn't fit his "preference".

I'm feelin' ya. I don't how many times recently I've had expeditures/purchases for things and while I'm writing out the check I think, 'damn, this could have been a nice set of aluminum heads or a blower, etc.

That isn't a problem here. The Cobra has been getting about 250 miles/5 hours a week, at least.

Yep. I'm really liking the new Mach 1s. The GTO sounds sweet, a blown Cobra, the Hemi wagon, the WRX, SRT-4, and a de-winged Evo are also all in the running.

I'm glad they waited. The new GTO is a worthy successor.

There you go!

Hemmings is predicting a 500 HP, 427 cubic inch, 3 valve, displacement on demand, with varible cam phasing motor in the next Z06. And you probably read my post about the "Blue Devil" Z06 that is rumoured to have about 650.

So 455 should be a piece of cake.

3,400

But compare this car to a traditional V8 car running these kinds of numbers. Most start at about 4,000 lbs and are whittled down to the low 3,000s. And I can't think of any that would have as many stock parts left as this Eclipse does.

Okay, you're right, no this car isn't "factory" muscle, but a milder version that runs 12's, 11's or 10's would be.

Really? Wow?! It's really sharp looking! If it had a backseat, you'd call it a ponycar. Stock it runs low/mid 90 mph traps. Dodge's PVO division supposedly is working on an "enhanced" version. The only problem is this car is based on a 'Benz and it's pricey for what it is/does. The interior felt cheap to me too for its price range.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

We climbed into the FX35 (45 was busy) and sat there for about 10 minutes just BS'ing. It was great. He's 6'4" and it seemed to fit him fine too. I think they look really aggressive, and I like that.

I do like the look of it though. I see a lot of the cop cars in the garage at work. I like the newer ones with the blacked out grilles. The chrome grilled ones suck.

Look at that... another magazine that I don't read! :) Actually, I don't have a Mustang. Then again if I did, I wouldn't need a MM&FF magazine put out beyond the mid 90's anyhow... except to find out who the vendors are.

Yep, they sound different yet they are old versions of the songs that were played on the stations I listened to when they were new. At least I know where to find them if I want to listen to them.

As it turns out, I am going to buy these heads and intake. I do have some things I bought earlier that I can sell to offset the cost. Since they're complete heads and intake, I don't need all the individual pieces anymore.

I like the Mach 1's and the GTO. I like what the Cobra is, but I don't think it's my cup of tea. Do they sell an EVO without the wing??

Actually I saw it first on the v8buick.com board. The Pure Stock guys hang out there, so Chevy stuff gets in there too.

How did they drop 750 lbs without replacing any body or interior pieces!? You can't save that much replacing the iron rods with aluminum!?

I forgot to tell you about this car:

Check out 2001 and 2002 especially, then what he did with it in 2003! I have a picture of this on my desktop at work. Some day I hope it will be an "after" picture for me! And, he drives it to the track!!!

Now that I think about it, there was one at the car show. It didn't do anything for me.

Steve BBB on a stand.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve