Here Come The New GTO... JUDGE?

Everyone, I'm sure, knows by now about the new GTO GM has coming to market in 2004. (Based on the Holden Monaro, powered by an LS1 putting out 350-horse 365-foot pounds of torque, with an independent rear suspension, and choice of 6-speed manual or 4 speed automatic trans.)

Well, I've read now from a couple different references that an even more powerful GTO maybe be in the pipeline. The rumour seems to be a "ZO6" version called, maybe, the Judge. Besides the 400 plus horsepower a Z06 engine would provide, the "Super GTO" would also get bigger wheels and tires, some suspension tuning, sportier seats, and ram air.

All I can say is this modern horsepower war is getting out of hand.

10-15 years ago, anything with over 200 horsepower was a star player. Now 250 horsepower only puts you sitting on the bench, 300 gets you some playing time, but you need to be pushing 400 to be on the starting line up. It's crazy... and I love it!

Patrick '93 Cobra (sitting on the bench)

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote

| All I can say is this modern horsepower war is getting out of hand.

What REALLY sucks, is that cars are becoming like computers. What a couple of years ago was one of the big dogs on the block is pathetic by today's standards. IE: My Cobra I think it bites! Now, I'm gonna go pout.

| 10-15 years ago, anything with over 200 horsepower was a star player. | Now 250 horsepower only puts you sitting on the bench, 300 gets you | some playing time, but you need to be pushing 400 to be on the | starting line up. It's crazy... and I love it! | | Patrick | '93 Cobra (sitting on the bench)

hey, can I collect splinters with ya Patrick?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I agree with you Kate, thats sort of another reason I got rid of my car, it was making about 400 horses which was enough to be a key player while i had it, but I knew it wouldn't last too much longer. I couldn't stand the thought of losing to a stock mustang, vette, gto, whatever. So now I got a truck so I won't feel too bad if I lose :)

I like it too, too bad I don't have the money to afford any of them though :(

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I know what you mean Erik. I have a 400+ rwhp '89 LX which I thought would be plenty to fend off any basically stock pony car I would meet. Then the '03 Cobra comes along and it can make close to 500 rwhp with $1,500 in mods and 600-700 rwhp with a Kenne Bell blower swap. I'm going to build an engine soon and now I've have to rethink my plans completely. The only way to stay in contention in the hp wars is to build a 347 stroker with a supercharger. I'll need 600 rwhp just to stay even. I was kicking around the idea of a 351W stroker but have scratched that because running N/A with a small block just won't cut it anymore.

Look at it this way. One day these cars will have some age on them and will be more affordable so sooner or later they will be a attainable by most of us.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

snip

What I worry about is the people, with bucks and absolutely no aptitude, getting more horsepower than they deserve. I know two guys who wrecked their cars within months of each other from "losing it" in rain and having no idea how to recover. Both were squemish, little guys who finally had some bucks and went for their alter-ego, a muscle machine.

Imagine what is going to happen when Mr. and Mrs. Retired Rich are dragging a huge camper trailer behind a 500 horsepower Cadillac SUV, over a mountain pass with snow.

Reply to
Ron Hammon

On the downside, if anyone here remembers the gas lines of 1973 a big factor was the gas guzzlers of the time and the greed of OPAC.

IMHO, it's only a matter of time before we're back inline again.

"Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it"

Reply to
MPBSR25

Stuff it in the lightning unless you're planning on going out and making some money with the car. Everyone expects a Mustang to run, though many of them don't by today's standards. People expect Lightnings to hold their own but not totally obliterate 'em. Stuff that monster into your truck and turn some heads. Might wanna learn how to get it to hook up though, suspension-wise or what not, being so light in the back.

JS

Reply to
JS

Sounds good to me. Now if the guys over at Buick could get their own version. Then they could roll out the higher power "Stage 1".

Oh well, it looks like we're buying a house and there won't be any new cars on my side of the garage for a while. I'm just looking forward to assembling that 455 motor to put in an "old car".

Steve

99 Ranger 4x4
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I know the engine, etc will kick ass on this car, however I can't get over it's looks. I think it looks kinda wimpy. Certainly not like a muscle car should. To me it looks sort of like an accord-type car.

One thing that did surprise me is that GM is putting the GTO pretty much up there with the Corvette in terms of performance. I did not think they would do that, since the Vette has been their performance flagship.

Reply to
PJ

why not, with the camaro making an exit?

all I can say, is ante up, or stay on the porch ;-)

Reply to
Fero1

Instead of pouting, here's some more news for a real good cry. Did you hear the rumour that Cadillac is going to start building V12s again (first time since '37)? An Escalade "V-Series" will be the first recipient of the 500 horsepower 7.5 liter all-aluminum DOHC mill. Car apps will follow soon afterward.

It's gonna suck to get blow away by gramps and granny in their V12 Caddy!

Yeah, sure... we can talk about the old days when we used to be contenders....

Patrick '93 Cobra with a pathetic 235 horsepower

Reply to
Patrick

I hope Ford is next to bring some Aussie muscle to N. America. Check out Ford of Austrailia website sometime. For those not versed in converting units, that 290kW output from the GT converts to 387HP out of a 5.4L 4-valve! Optional Brembo brakes too, and independent suspension. Hey Ford, why can't we have cars like the GT in N. America?

Brian

Reply to
bdm

I've been saying this for *YEARS*. The reason is marketing. The average american buyer doesn't know any better so ford can get away with selling tauri instead of falcons.

I did a converison of units for the turbocharged I6 for the falcon a couple weeks ago, it was over 300 horse as well. The fuel economy for it was great as well. like 18 city and nearly 30 highway.

Reply to
Brent P

I went the other way, with a 69 Mach 1 I may be way outta the ballpark in terms of high tech efficiency, but frankly everything after 69' is in the rear view mirror in terms of class baby!

;)

Chris

SVTKate wrote:

Reply to
Chris Lambert

Oh come on, and so Joe Redneck with his rusted out 88 monte carlo and chicken wire holding on the passenger side door is that much better? Give me a break, this is entirely dependant on the individual thanks.

Resp> Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Chris Lambert

Hell, you can buy 500hp now, but it's only 10 cylinders. It's called a Viper. Prolly cheaper than that V12 Caddy, too.

BTW, Gramps ain't buyin' Caddys no more. He's buyin' Buicks. Young'uns are buyin' Caddys nowadays. Check out who's drivin' the next new Caddy you see. I'll bet the driver's under 40.

"SVTKate" wrote in news:KiMXa.864$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

it's called UGLY and a DODGE too.... I swear, if someone GAVE me a viper, I'd sell it ASAP.. I really dislike the things.

|Prolly cheaper than that V12 Caddy, too.

at least the caddy is easier on the eye Kate

| | BTW, Gramps ain't buyin' Caddys no more. He's buyin' Buicks. | Young'uns are buyin' Caddys nowadays. Check out who's drivin' the | next new Caddy you see. I'll bet the driver's under 40. | | Joe | Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies | Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC | | | "SVTKate" wrote in | news:KiMXa.864$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com: | | > so long as I get to trip gramps with my cane every now and then... | > V12's huh... *sigh* | >

| > I may have to go back to work after all. | >

| > Kate | >

Reply to
SVTKate