Holley 4 barrel carb. Electric choke upgrade. Opinions please

OK,my Holley carb manual choke is broke (no rhyme intended),and i am thinking of upgrading to an electric choke instead of replacing it with a manual one.

Its only 3 bolts to undo to replace the unit and i think a bit of adjustment to make sure the flap sits in the right position over the front 2 barrels.

My question is,now that i am forced to make a replacement,should I upgrade to the electric choke,or should i replace it with another manual one? I'm not worried about it being stock,so if it is worth upgrading,then i would go for it. An electric one would mean i dont have to pull that stupid knob out each time and i can get rid of the choke cable,but are there any drawbacks with the electric option?

The carb is not original to this engine (351W with an H,so originally 2 bbl) On the front side of the carb is imprinted LIST 1850-3 .The guy at Checker worked out from that number that i need a Holley part number 45223 to replace it. It's less than $50 for the part,so what do you think guys ? Have any of you done this upgrade.

BTW,the rest of the car is coming along nicely,slow but sure,i'll get there eventually ! See pics at the Webshots link below

Thanks in advance Andrew

me

I have the electric choke on my Mustang. It works really well in all conditions. It was very easy to adjust. It's far superior to the hot air automatic choke on an Autolite. Go for it.

Reply to
boB

thanks for that,I'm being persuaded in that direction,anyone else ??

Andrew

Reply to
me

Definitely go with the electric choke. I have one on my Holley 750 double pumper and have been very pleased with the performance of the choke.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III