How about banning Google posts from Usenet to stop trolling cnuts ?

If you like tuned cars, here you will find many interesting stuff

Piss Off.

Reply to
Eeyore

I notice the recent chain letter spam was also injected via google groups.

Reply to
Derek

The people who starts these chain letter spam should be injected with poison.

Reply to
Dan---

I personally would love to see a UDP on Google.

Reply to
WindsorFox

See below.

Reply to
Andy

I wish I didn't have to use Google Groups to get Usenet. My ISP doesn't run a news server.

Reply to
GrassyNoel

why not use news.aioe.org it works pretty well, though retention is a bit short.

Reply to
Atheist Chaplain

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it at home but I don't think I have access to an NNTP client at work. They wouldn't even know what Usenet is.

Reply to
GrassyNoel

if its a windows machine it might still have outlook express, better than nothing in a pinch as long as your only doing text. and before the hoards of detractors start in with all the "Oh but reader XYZ is so much better than that piece of shit OE, blah blah blah" vomit that they prattle on with, remember that GN said he is using a work computer and they might take a dim view if he installs "unauthorized" software, whereas OE is installed by default on just about every windows machine ever sold. The big problem might be that they block port 119.

Reply to
Atheist Chaplain

I'm quite familiar with Blinky and his Usenet views...

Reply to
WindsorFox

There are plenty of free servers available. All you need is a client and most of those are free too.

Reply to
WindsorFox

WindsorFox

Doesn't help if the NNTP port is blocked. Face it, the web interface provided by GG is actually quite useful for some people.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Although there's a part of me that says 'if they block the NNTP port they actually *don't want you to read Usenet at work*...

In which case use of Google Groups could well be the basis for at least a slap on the wrist. Or worse.

Reply to
PC Paul

You saying that excessive usenet is bad for productivity? :-)

OTOH in some jobs some NGs could well be relevant - but none of the ones here...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Try "news.datemas.de"