How do I flush a '94 Mustang coolant system?

How do I flush a '94 Mustang coolant system?

I bought a Prestone Flush Kit, and it tells me to cut (!) the heater hose and insert a plastic T into the break. Problem is that there isn't a heater hose long enough to accomplish this. I don't really want to cut one of the hoses anyway. Isn't there a way to do this without actually damaging a hose? I checked the Ford manual, but it tells me to refer to some other maintenance book that they didn't give me (of course).

I know I can drain the radiator, refill with water, run engine, drain again, repeat, etc.....but does this really do a good job of getting the old coolant out????

Reply to
bsmith4

The Prestone kit is the easiest way to do it and get it over with in one shot. But if you want to do it the slow way where you leave the cleaner in there a couple days, you have to run the heater so the flush is running through the heater core also. Then when you go to drain it, you need to make sure that you flush out the heater core also, since this isn't always part of the open circuit of coolant flow, you may end up with some flush still in the heater core. Meaning you should probably do the flush twice with fresh water with a drive in between with the heater on. Then add coolant. IIWY, I'd just get the Prestone kit and then remove the tee when your done and use a tube to splice the two ends back together if your worried about looks.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno