how do u change alternator in a 1999 mustan

any body please explain how to change alternator in a frod mustang 99, and how hard it is, and what is the sign of bad alternator. and is it doable by weekend not very experienced mechanic.

Reply to
Mike30038

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I took one off of a 95 in a junkyard in about 8 minutes. It went back on my 89 in 25, but I had to change the terminals to fit the new alt.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Mike, Symptoms are dimming lights at night and battery gauge dropping while the engine's running from it's normal position.

With a voltmeter check across to + and - terminals of the battery for

14 VDC, or slightly more with the engine ideling, accessories off. 12 VDC or less is unacceptable. Raise engine speed to ~ 2000 RPM and re-check voltage, if still less than 14 VDC replace alt. If voltage is correct, replace voltage regulator. Check electrolite level in battery, if not a dry cell...low mtce., not NO mtce.

Replacement is simply removal of the battery cables, belt, four bolts and the connector and then reverse the procedure using correctly sized hand tools. Should take less than an hour overall.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

Alternator on any of the Mustang motors in '99 is pretty easy. The unit sits right up top-front on the motor. Hand tools only plus something with a half inch square drive (ratchet) to operate the belt tensioner. Check the belt while your at it since you have to handle it anyway.

A generator/alternator that is degrading tends to cause the electrical system to behave weird (lights dimming significantly, lights flickering, etc.). The most common symptom of a bad one is that the battery loses its charge. There are battery/alternator testers that can check it in the car although they are not 100 percent accurate.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

A lot of shops will test it for you for free and will be able to tell.

Reply to
RT

where is the belt tensioner for Ford Mustang 99 when you change the alternator...is it on the top big pulley and if do u turn it clock wise or? my email address is snipped-for-privacy@wmconnect.com

Reply to
Mike30038

Mike, No offense, but take it to a mechanic.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

I agree with Brad. Not intentionally trying to be an asshole, (it comes naturally) but if you can't pick out the tensioner without someone pointing it out, you need to get someone to do it or at least have someone with you that can show you.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]