How does your actual gas mileage compare with factory estimates?

I have a '99 GT conv w/auto, 28k miles. IIRC, factory estimates are 17 mpg city but I only get about 11. I do a lot of city/stop-n-go driving and my pedal foot is only moderately heavy, but this seems really low. (My '00 GMC

4.8 full-size pickup gets better mileage than this.) Comments? Other experiences?
Reply to
Zen Cohen

Sounds familiar, my v-6 ford escape gets about 5 less mpg then estimated (on the highway). I think it might be because they get their data using 93 or 94 octane fuel. My wifes VW 1.8 Turbo requires premium fuel, and it always gets the milage that is projected from the factory.

Reply to
Craig

Doing lots of stop and go will do this to your mpg. Heard it before. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Something is not correct.

I'm getting 22mpg city with 10 or 20% highway driving with my 03 GT 5spd. Someone claimed to get 28mpg on a highway trip. Given my city mpg, 28 sounds quite reachable on the highway.

I can go 300 miles per tank (minus the 2 or 3 gallons of reserve fuel). Sound like you can only get about half that.

John

Reply to
jriegle

Try driving it as conservatively as you can (like a little ole lady) and you will get close to or even better than the EPA estimates (if your car is working ok). Driving it "moderately heavy" is NOT the way the EPA tests cars. They assume that if you are concerned about mileage, you'll be driving accordingly. If not, all bets are off.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

'02 v-6 convertible. First highway trip got 27 [a/c not used], 24.5 for the whole trip [450 miles]. Around town, which is most driving, it can be anywhere from 14 to 18. I think all those numbers are below the EPA's, except the 27.

Reply to
C Green

I have personally never been able to get close to the factory in anything I drive regardless of manufacturer. I assumed they were idiots, but it could be my foot also.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Reply to
username

I think it might be because they get their

Premium fuel , in a car not designed for it will do NOTHING to improve mileage.

if the book calls for 87, and you put in 93 you are just wasting money !

Reply to
rayfox

My '03 GT vert gets pretty close to Factory estimates. If I drive conservativly I get 19-20 around town and 25 hwy. If I start horsing around, I get 11 - 13 mpg.

Reply to
joe

dude, I would check your fuel filter and fuel injection components. Also your intake filter. Unless your are almost flooring it every second you are driving, you should not have that low of gas mileage. Althouh autos. do need more energy to acquire the same acceleration as 5 speeds. Get some gears in the rear this will definately help, 4.10's on an auto are the best compromise. 3.73 on 5 speeds. On my 01Gt 5speed hrdtop I get an average of

18.8 mpg about 20% highway and 80% city. Stock gears
Reply to
j2