How far can a Mustang be towed on a dolly without hurting the trans ?

I'm going to pick the pony up from the frame shop later this week, and I was thinking about renting one of those dollies that you put under the front wheels.

It's ~5 miles from my house to the shop. Am I okay to go that far if I keep it under 40 ? or do I have to drop the driveline ?

I'd like to avoid paying for a "real" tow if possible :)

Thanxxxxxxxxxx

Reply to
chief_wiggum

Auto or manual?

Reply to
Gumby619

I wouldn't worry bout it. 5 miles isn't that far, even for an auto.

Reply to
.boB

Well, Auto....

If it were a manual, I'd put it in neutral :) AFAIK there isn't an issue with towing a manual, is there ?

Anyway..

Reply to
chief_wiggum

I'd worry about it either way..... there will be no lube supplied to anything if it's a stick of a juicebox...... Tie the steering wheel and back it onto the dolly is the only sure way. 5 miles might not be anything or it could mean the death of something spendy..... how lucky do you feel????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Most MTs will circulate the lubricant if in neutral and towed as I understand it.

Reply to
Brent P

Not nearly as much of an issue, but with the wheels turning, the tail shaft is too. That's why most manufacturers only recommend towing with the drive wheels on the ground in emergencies and for limited distances and speeds.

Five miles or so at less than 40 MPH should be fine, but like Jim says, you might want to secure the steering wheel and tow with the drive wheels on the dolly just to be safe.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Well I was flipping through the owner's manua (what a concept, huh ? ) and it says the car should not be towed over 35 miles an hour or 50 miles without disconnecting the driveshaft..

Looks like 5 miles is no biggie then (as long as I stay off the Autobhan )

Reply to
chief_wiggum

Hey CW, don'tcha have a AAA card?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

chief_wiggum opined in news:piefc.8142$dZ1.1980@fed1read04:

Should be ok.. but..

A couple things common sense brings to mind:

The owner's manual probably assumes that the car was recently driven, thus recent lube in the tailshaft.

- if it's been a while since the engine ran, the lube will only be a film.. the rest having migrated down

In neutral, there's no tailshaft lube in many trannies as the cluster gear is the one that picks up the lube. SOME trans may throw lube if their fill point is above the lower teeth on the main tailshaft

You know how if you tilt the tranny while out of the car, lube runs out the tail/spline bearing? Possible way to make sure you have recent lube there - lift the car nose up about 20 degees. Make sure lube topped up.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic