How is the 2005+ V6...Really.....

I'm shopping!!

So my question is, how good of a performer is the V6 in the "fun to drive" category? I am looking automatic/Pony which from what I usnerstand has a similar suspension as the GT (rear swaybar etc)

BTW..

Just as a point of reference as to where I am coming from, my daughter's

2003 Jetta is a hell of a lot of fun to drive!

Handles extremely well on twisty backroads and while it is certainly no tire burner, it feels like you are going faster than you are.

IOW lot's of fun to drive.

I'm not interested in shaving 1/4 second off my 0-60 time but more interested in being able to step on the pedal and feel+hear the thing go.

One other factor is that I maintain my own cars (Except for warranty) and I tend to keep my cars forever and baby them. Currently a 92 Caprice at 380,000 miles all original (except timing chain and front end suspension), a 2000 Dodge Caravan at 120,000 miles and running fine.

My secret?

Castrol GTX and a Wixx filter every 3k or so. Never more than 5k between changes.

The above is my reason for leaning toward the GT because I have a gut feeling the motor/parts are maybe a little better supported?

Wrongo?

I dunno.... (Help me out here??)

So, how about it guys and gals, does the V6 give enough "fun to drive" factor?

Should I go for the rag top to compensate?

Or

Should I bite the *bullet* (pun intended) and go for a basic GT hardtop model?

I'm looking at a 2007 V6 Pony/premium/ vista blue with White rally stripe.

I saw a 2005 GT with only 3k on it, one owner at a dealer for $25k but I am suspicious. Carfax is clean...yada yada yada..... for all that's worth :)

Again, I'm not interested in racing, but I HATE slow cars. In fact, I feel slow cars cause more accidents than faster, better handling ones.

I attened a Bob Bonderaunt (sp? school back in the 80's and learned that most accidents are avoided by handling and power, not slamming on the brakes.

Oh yea, I also get an X-Plan price, for whatever that's worth :(

Any tips on how to use that?

As you see I have many questions, but you know I am really steamed over this Toyota crap and want to support my American companies if I can.

I also happen to LOVE the RETRO STANG : (44yo male here)....

TIA!!!!

Reply to
Steve Gerbino

Ok

Without the vert it is a slug. The vert adds in the fun factor that is missing from the V6.

Bigger tires and upgraded suspension from the glossy. Personally I think the smaller fog lites look better than the GT ones. My opinion.

Light car with very good high speed handling characteristics.

I agree with you, Jetta is a fun car to drive.

Yep. Don't challange even a Camry from a dead stop. However, on the winding roads at speed the Jetta is a blast to drive. Very good brakes as well. Typical German car. Well built and simple. Expensive to fix however.

Yes.

Think about that if you consider buying a used GT.

Best way to do it.

Wow! That's gotta be a record. I guess there is a reason cabbies and police use those cars.

I won't tell !

I prefer Syntec, but whatever.....

I would say so. The Mustang is the most supported car in history as far as aftermarket parts are concerned.

Nope IMHO.

Get the ragtop.

Yep.

Better yet...

Don't even consider the V6 without the Pony Package. Big difference! get the interior upgrade package as well. Pass on the Shaker 1000 go for the 500.

Check the VIN on the motor. I forget where it is, but I'll bet the motor is not factory model.

A 2 year old car with only 3k on it?

I'd be careful.

Don't report your crashes to DMV and they won't show in Carfax. Enuf said....

At Pocono Raceway?

I went to that school....

It looks easy driving though all those cones until you actually try it :(

About $2k from what I understand. Not available on GT though. Some dealers bend the rules though. Find one that does.

Above

Toyota is a piece of crap.

You want $450 ignition modules? No REAL service manuals? Dealers that won't bend when your car dies 1k out of warranty? Buy a riceburner...

FWIW if youa re looking for a riceburner killer, get a GM Cobalt SS supercharged.... Yikes!! Tons of power, although the GT will smoke it (barely)...

And who doesn't!!!!

I just bought a GT Vert and having owned Vettes, Porsche and a BMW or two, the stang is by far the most fun car I have ever driven.

Mine is "ticket me" yellow

Reply to
flatfish+++

I rented a V6/Auto/Vert while vacationing in WA last fall. Great car, fun to drive, very comfortable. Acceleration was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Fortunatly, it doesn't take much to make the V6 a good performer. It's 4.0 vs.

4.6 liters. Not much. The V6 is "detuned" a little from the V8. Ford doesn't want the two to compete in the performance market. But a few simple bolt ons and a computer reprogram, and the performance would be pretty good. And get 25mpg! Maint is easier, and insurance is cheaper. The balance and weight are slightly better with the V6. Although, I would go for the 5 speed.
Reply to
.boB

whot kind of bolt ons ?

Reply to
Josh Thelmack

Just simple stuff - headers, GT exhaust, cold air intake. I know the stock GT exhaust system will directly bolt in there. And you see them on e-bay pretty cheap. They add a bit of power and a better sound. If you really want to get some performance, bolt on a blower. Especially if you live at high altitude.

Not long ago, I was seriously considering a V6 for a drag strip car. I live at

6,400' ASL. With headers and a blower, I would have more torque and hp than a GT without the blower. Altitude really sucks the power, and a blower puts it back.
Reply to
.boB

I'm 3 weeks into my love affair with my new '06 V6 auto/Pony in Vista Blue.

The Pony pack is one heck of a bang for the buck! I can't imagine not including it though I'm glad so many don't... my car now stands out that much more! The Pony grill work look as if it came right of a '67 GTA. I'm sure the upgraded suspension and wheel/tire combo helps the handling. The Vista Blue is very sharp and a lot of folks comment that they love the color. The only thing I wish I had added is the upgraded interior. I have the leather, which is very nice, and the side air bags saved me 5% on my car insurance. It's just that the black plastic looks a bit toy-ish.

The car has plenty of get-up and go though it is an automatic so there isn't the instant response, as I would imagine you would get from the standard. You won't HATE this car. For my point of reference, I'm coming of a 2000 Honda Accord. A great car that I have passed down to my daughter.

Is it "Fun to Drive"? I've put over 2500 miles on mine in 3 weeks! I find any reason to drive it. My new favorite phrase is, "Anyone need anything at the store?". I feel like I'm 17 again with my first car. My first car was a '72 Pinto. Though the cars are no comparison, the feeling is the same.

When I opened the hood after owning so many front wheel drives with transverse engines it was like seeing a long lost friend. I'm not sure if it will make any difference in servicing the engine but it was just nice to see it looking at me instead of looking off to the side.

I live in New Hampshire so I went with the hardtop. I'm not sure how the winter is going to be. The last rear-wheel drive I owned was a '75 Caprice Classic. I think the weight of that car kept it on the road in the snow. I'm a bit nervous about the Mustang in the snow.

Short answer... is it fun... IMHO... Hell Yeah! Should you get one? Hell Yeah again!

Test drive first! Fun for me may be hell for you.

Al

Reply to
Al Antosca

I'm looking for the same color!

What kind of a deal did you get if I may ask? Was the dealer negotiable or are they playing "sticker price" again?

Also, I am looking at getting a white rally stripe on the car. Is that an option or dealer installed?

If I find one on the lot without the stripe, can I have the dealer install one and will it be the same as the factory or is it a hack like dealer installed sunroofs (in my experience anyhow)?

Thanks for your responses.

BTW PowerBlock TV just had a commercial for Flowmaster muffler (resonator? the thing at the end, not in the middle) for the V6!! Under $200.00 so there must be people tinkering with the V6's as well.

Reply to
Willy

My wife owns a 2006 v6 vert. Personally I am used to cars with a lot more power so I wouldn't opt for the V6. With that said the acceleration isn't actually to bad for a V6. I would say it is only slightly slower that my

1966 A-code V8 Mustang and a little faster than our 2004 Expedition. I guess in the end it all comes down to what type of cars you drive. If you have mainly driven 4-cylinder or V6 cars like Honda's then you should be just fine with it. However if you are used to cars like newer V8 Mustangs, Camaros, or even SVT's, then you will definitely not be happy.

-DC

Reply to
DC

By the time you do all that you've passed the cost of buying a GT.

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

DC wrote: [CORRECTED TOPPOSTAGE]

Question is: Does it run Linux? (FOLLOWUP RESET TO rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang)

Reply to
Jim

To say nothing of voiding the warranty on your new car. And just imagine how much more power you would have if you did that to the GT...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I don't think the weight differance is a great as you think, the 1975 Chevrolet Caprice had a curb weight of 4221 pounds, the 2006 Mustang's curb weight is 3,477 pounds...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Not around here. You're talking about no more than $6K. Around here, the GT's go for about $10K more than the similar V6. The dealerships have plenty of V6's to choose frome, they're having a tough time selling them. But the GT's sell themselves. They don't stay on the lot very long. Some of them get sold before delivery. The V6 gets 25mpg; at least, my rental did. And you know how I drive a rental. Gas pedal only has two positions - up and down. Plus, your insurance is cheaper.

Besides, I thought it would be fun to have a hot rod V6. Take it to the drag strip and smoke the new GT's :) Imagine them looking over at you and saying, "Oh, that's just a wimpy V6/auto." Nothing like a little stealthy power.

Reply to
.boB

That's your area. In my area the add-on's put me up to GT prices.

My Mach 1 gets 24 mpg on highway and about 22 in city driving.

Actually no. :)

Can't comment on the insurance because I'm paying Cobra prices.

Reminds me of an 04 GT who tried to intimidate me one evening last spring. Rode my tail for about 5 miles until we got onto the Beltway. He passed me and then got stuck behind a slow moving van. I got around him just as he floored it. Suffice it to say he kept well back and three lanes over until we parted company. He might have had what he thought was a bad-a$$ GT but it was no match for a Mach 1.

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

Yeah exactly.

Reply to
Mrs. Ken Ehrett

Hardly.... not talking superchargers. A SCT tune, CAI and duals with a 4:10 gear will run around 1500. None of that will void your warranty, except the tune..and all you have to do is load the stock tune back in it before the trip to the dealership. It'll make the v6 launch just as well as a GT. Around here theres a 5-6k price difference....

Reply to
chris

Maybe the 4221 pounds and the couple of hundred pounds of sand in the trunk... it had one HUGE trunk!

Reply to
Al Antosca

"Willy" wrote in message news:eb56p3$puv$ snipped-for-privacy@emma.aioe.org...

The color is very nice and seems to change wth the light. It also reminded me of the '67 blue mustangs I have seen.

The dealer was negotaible but you need to be prepared to walk... for real! Here's the best part of the story... My wife bought the car for me and drove it into the driveway with a big red bow on it! Here is how the negotiations went... She went to the local dealer behind by back with a print-out of exactly what I wanted (I'm a project manager, I make lists, I'm very specific and detail oriented - it sure payed off this time!). The dealer had a Pony but not in Vista Blue. He found (on the computer) a Vista Blue Pony just outside of Boston (about 50 miles away). The car in Boston some options the local dealers stock pony didn't - leather interior, side air bags. Basicly my wife informed the dealer that she would buy the car in Boston for the some price as the car on the local dealers lot FOR THE SAME PRICE. The dealer wasn't having any part of it until my wife, who had no emotional ties to this car, calmly thanked the dealer for his time and headed for the door. She WAS going to leave. She made it about ten steps before the dealer stopped her with a, "Okay, what will it take to make this deal today?". She sat down, pointed to the invoice slip for the Vista Blue Pony with leather interior and side air bags and said, "I want this car for that price." pointing to the car on the local dealers lot. After a few seconds he said, "Alright" He was going to charge her to deliver it and she was having no part of that. The other thing that my wife did (she's a real estate agent so she knows sales) was bypassed the sales person on the floor and asked for the manager right away. So what I believe got her a good deal was the fact that she went in ready to buy the right car at the right price on the spot but was ready to walk if it all wasn't to her liking.

Can't help you with this one. Try someone else on this board or these other forums.

Maybe start your own thread here.

There are places on the internet that sell them but there is no way on God's green earth i would ever attempt a stunt like this at home:

The only thing that I have read on some of the other boards is that pained on stripes are better than vinyl. I have no idea about this but maybe something to do a bit of research on before having someone lay some vinyle on your new car and trim it up with an exacto knife.

Reply to
Al Antosca

Have you actually driven a S197 V6 that has been re-flashed? The programing on the V6 is a big handicap... Spend $400 on a SCT X-Cal2 and you won't believe you are driving the same car... As far as warranty... simply return the car to stock before going to the dealership...

Oh and my slug???? I traded my Porsche in on my slug... my slug runs LOW 13's all day.... what does your Vert run? LOL!

Reply to
John S.

There was an $8000 difference between my V6 and a GT. Yes, it was $8000... I will not argue that point... where I live the markup was around $3000 with no baragining! PERIOD!

For $8000 I can build up a V6 that can run down the GT... As far as warranty... I don't worry about it since my warranty was up in just over a year... Or if you are so inclined just keep all your stock parts... A guy in town put a rod through his block on his GT with a

150HP shot of N20... put it back to stock and got it covered under warranty... Personally I don't think that's right... but that's another story... LOL!

With simply bolts on like a tune, CAI and exhaust my V6 was at

200RWHP... so figure around 240HP at the crank... so 20HP less than my 2002 GT... BTW.. I had my car service a few time with the bolt-on's... heck I even had my TPS replace with my N20 kit hooked up! The dealership never questioned me once... they just did the warranty work with no hassles! LOL!
Reply to
John S.