How long will unused tires last?

I've got a set of 4 wheels and tires I pulled off an old Mustang I bought about a year and 1/2 ago. They have been sitting, stacked up in my garage ever since, inflated on the wheels I got them on, out of the sun. A friend of mine happens to need that size tire for her car.

Are they safe to have put on her car? How do I check for dry rot? What else should I look for?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

If they were good when you took them off, they still should be good as long as they weren't exposed to chemicals or ozone. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Thanks, John.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

X-No-archive:yes > Re:"I've got a set of 4 wheels and tires

------------------------------------------- Carl.I've heard from "reliable sources" (I read it somewhere),that a tire is considered to be in the grey zone safety-wise after 7 years regardless of whether it was in use or not.The date is molded onto each tire after the DOT number.You have to have some idea which decade it was made in though,except maybe on newer tires.The number will be the last

3 digits(239=23d week of 1999,or 1989) or the last 4 digits(as on my new michelins) 02 04=2nd week of 2004. Incidentally,when I was poorer,I used to get my tires from the junk-yard and had many go out while driving and one loudly blow out as I was backing out of my space! (scared the HELL out of a cute female jogger).Anyway I would check the dates and think twice about giving these to your friend.It really might be better for her to get new tires if yours are real old. Best....Brian O. ********************
Reply to
Brian Orion