How to.........

I'm looking to replace the fuel filter on my 96 GTS. Any links out there? Any got ya's I should be looking for.

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Pretty straightforward I'd imagine. I haven't done my '97 Cobra's yet (it was done when I bought it at 24k and now has 55k on the clock), but for most of 'em, there's some sort of quick disconnect that requires maybe a pair of pliers. Others use hose clamps. Some may use a special tool (think front fuel lines on a 5.0). Crawl under it and see what's necessary, or hopefully someone will chime in with that answer.

The only gotcha I can think of would involve resident fuel pressure. Leaving the car sit overnight, hitting the schrader valve on the fuel rails (if so equipped) and opening the gas cap can relieve most of the pressure, but there will still be some residual pressure and fuel in the filter. You're bound to get covered in gas unless you're on a lift, have quick reflexes, or take proper precautions.

JS

Reply to
JS

I think (but am not sure) you need to get a disconnect (quickconnect?) set from a car store. They're cheap. On the 95 I never needed it, but the 96 might have different connections to it. Make sure you wear eye-protection in case gas runs out (and it will) LEt it sit overnight and the pressure will be off the fuelsystem. You can always press the shcrader valve or run the engine and pull the connector of the safety switch in the trunk.

Rein