how to check ignition timing with COP system?

I just checked with Haynes... all they have to say is that the ignition timing cannot be adjusted on the late model 4.6 engines, but they do not say HOW to check the ignition timing. Just because you cannot adjust it doesn't mean you should not be able to check it. I also read an article in a Mustang magazine about how some guys swapped a Steeda timing adjuster onto a late model Stang, but then questioned whether or not the timing was accurate according to the Steeda markings, especially since Steeda said that it could be a degree or so off... but they offered no way of checking the actual ignition timing to see what was truly going on. So will this have to be a guessing game? If you swap on a Steeda ignition timing adjuster, you'll never really know how much you are advancing the timing beyond the true stock setting since the Steeda bracket may be off by a few degrees... unless you can measure the true timing. I can see a situation where a Steeda kit may be 4 degrees retarded (because the bracket is slightly bent, whatever) with respect to it's readings, so when a user goes to advance the kit by 4 degrees verses the stock setting, they will actually just be setting it back to where it was originally... and thus no improvement and a waste of time and money. Of course you could always advance the timing until pinging is detected with 93 octane, regardless of what that timing advance reading is (and then back off of course), but it would still be nice to know exactly how much you are advancing past stock. So... hopefully there is a way to pull out the old timing light and take some readings, even on the new COP ignition system. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

I've not looked close enough at the exciter ring, but there is either a tooth or a gap that is wider than the others. Actually, the UPR ring in an ad shows a wider gap. This is what the computer uses to find TDC, but I'd have to guess that the first magnet after the gap is TDC because it's never came up before. Maybe someone has some inside tech info on this sensor. Once the unit is installed, you could remove the #1 plug and move the piston to TDC and take a look at the adjuster.The pointer should be on the 0* mark at that point. With the coil-on-plug design it would be hard to use a modern timing light, you might need to find an older one that actually wired between the plug and the wire (coil in this case).

Reply to
Mike King