How to ID a '99 Mustang GT differential?

Background: Been told that differential housing on this Mustang is bent slightly from a rear-end fender-bender. Need new differential housing according to mechanic. Evidence for this apparently is intermittent rear-end garbly noise, rear brake pads prematurely worn, and brake pads are worn on a diagonal [/|] as opposed to even wear around [||]. Should we believe this mechanic, does this scenario seem reasonable? Anyway we can check for ourselves being limited mechanics? How can we identify the differential specs for this model and year in case we need to go find one in the market? There is no identification plate on the housing itself. Finally, any suggestions where to go to find a Mustang differential? Lot of questions...any help is appreciated!

Reply to
Aujr2

Brake pads prematuring wearing & wearing in an even pattern would make me think your rotors are warped. Get them resurfaced (cheaper, but there is a minimum width for the rotors and you might not be able to resurface (aka turn) them again) or replaced (more expensive). Rear-end garbly noise? I'd make sure it was the rear-end first. Take the vehicle to multiple reputable mechanics and see what they think... don't say "well this mechanic thinks it's this..." b/c then you're going to make them think it's what the other mechanic said.. let them give their own opinion. Take it to them as if they are the first to see the car. Just my .02 cents.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset