How-To Question > Removing Door Speakers

How do you remove the door speakers on a Fox Mustang ('93). I removed the obvious screw down in the bottom corner, but what's the next step. Do the speaker covers pop off? Or do you have to remove the whole door panel? If the whole door panel needs to come off, is it simply a matter of pulling the panels straight out until the clips on the backside let go, or do you have slide the panel up and then out or something. Please advise.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

The door panel has to come off. Remove all the screws and bolts from the panel, use a trim removal tool or a wide flat screwdriver to pop the clips loose along the sides and bottom. Then it lifts up and off.

Note that there are two large bolts on the door pull, hidden behind plastic plugs.

John

Reply to
jmvannoy

Reply to
Erik D.

Thanks, John and Eric! Wanted to verify before I started yanking and pulling.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1105992297.983505.306380 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Also, watch out for the black gunk that seals the plastic sheet to the door frame. It's a bitch to get off without smearing it all over.

Patrick, if you're replacing the door speakers, do the ones in the dash as well. I believe they run full range along with the door speakers, so you might want to consider some bass blockers if you put tweeters up there.

FWIW, 6-1/2 components sound great in the '93. Woofers in the doors, tweeters in the dash. The crossover can sit in the door or in the kick panels if you have the room.

Joe

I didn't feel like fooling with the dash speakers in my '93. I think the previous owner might have though, not really sure. Anyway, I put some 3-way's in my doors and they sounded damn good. I forget what kind they were but they were a little pricey. Anyway, good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Erik, you wouldn't believe how good components sound in the doors/dash. The door speakers are just a bit too close to the floor for the tweeters - the dash placement is perfect.

I put the crossovers in the kick panels and just ran the front wires directly to them from the head unit. Woofer wiring went right into the doors; tweeter wiring went straight up to the dash. Beautiful.

Joe

Yup. I had a set of MB Quart Refererence series in my 92. Tweets suspended on top of a pair of Polk 3.5's in the dash with the Quart mid-basses in the doors. AWESOME :-)

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to
TurboMike

Where you been hidin', old man? ;)

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

Reply to
Joe

Well, thanks for askin; :-) Finished Nursing school in August and moved in October to Springfield, which is about 120 south of where I was before in MO. Have been in a perpetual moving process ever since :-) So...have been without a computer other than at work so have only been able to follow RAMFM on weekends. That stands to change in the next few weeks though. Moving the bulk of my stuff this weekend, in 20 degree weather no less. Add some 40 mph winds to that and it ought to be a "wonderful" experience. LOL. You happy bastards down in Florida enjoy your nice weather :-) (j/k)

I may be scarce but I'll be back soon :-)

Mike

1993 BMW 525i 210000 and counting :-)
Reply to
TurboMike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:

Congrats on finishing school! Moving sucks, and the cold must make it only that much worse. Hey, it's been damn cold down here too. All last week it didn't even reach 70. Heat's been on every night.

Anyway, glad to see you back. Looking forward to more consistent posting from you.. ;)

Joe