How to remove Air Silencer on 95 Mustang

Anynoe got pics of what bolts need un-doing???

Then once the box is free, and the snorkel comes out of the fender...then the rubber snorkel just pretty much can get pulled right out of the air box, right?

Reply to
HeadRusch

Don't do it! That is a fox trick. It has been proven to lose power on the SN95 style cars. by removing the rubber part you actually end up sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. I have done it and the only difference is that pinging went up, and I'm sure you know how prone to pinging the

94/95 cars are.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Really........I didn't intend to remove the air-filter box and strap on an un-shielded K&N cone, I was just going to remove the silencer.......is there still an issue there?

I know if you rip out the whole housing and just have an exposed cone sitting there in your engine compartment then you're going to have serious issues in city driving, but I thought removing the air-silencer was an easy way to improve throttle response, since it can now suck air through that gaping hole versus the restricted silencer...!?

One thing that always sucked about my Cobra was that the throttle response was so "laggy"...you step on the accellerator and it takes a second for the car to respond....I mean, my Tahoe isn't like that........my wife's car isn't like that....its like a mustang thing...that I always attributed to that intake path....

?????

fender...then

Reply to
HeadRusch

Yes, even if you remove just the air silencer you're going to suck in more hot air. Removing it will just give you a "woosh" sound & make your car lose power. I did it on my 98 GT.. didn't really notice ANY power increase.. or gas MPG increase.. but I have a CAI now.. and again I don't see any difference in power...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

When I lived in Florida I removed it on my '98 GT and had some drivability problems due to hot underhood air being pulled into the intake. To remedy this I marked the tube where it entered the fender and cut it off about a quarter inch past the mark. This opens the tube a bit and still allows it to pull cooler air from the fender. I also did this to my '00 GT the day I brought it home. Another option would be to get the tube from an '03 or '04 Cobra, it has a much larger opening and will fit right in place of the original. The supercharged Cobra's gain power when these are removed and the intake air temp is less of a factor on intercooled engines.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Yes because the air box doesn't seal off on the fender like the fox cars did. As noted by wrathcobra drawing in the hot underhood air raise the air inlet temp which causes the EEC to pull out timing, and if you had an automatic makes it a real bitch to keep running on a hot restart when you drop it in gear.

If you want to do something check out stang.net or corral.net for a tech article on making your own CAI kit with parts from your local Home Depot type place. Way cheaper than shelling out for these aftermarket ones, and if you take your time and paint it all up they can even look better.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG