How To Remove/Replace Headlight Lenses?

I received new headlight lenses for my 1993 Cobra. Looking at the new lenses I can see three (3) attachment points, and looking at the existing lenses there are long bolts that fit into these attachment points. However, I don't see any sort of nut or clip on these bolts. So how do you get the lenses off/out?

Help!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

i consider myself am expert in this subject, as i just changed mine out with about a week of headaches.

the headlights have 6 connection points, however only 3 are used. they are very hard to get to. you will need to take off the radiator clips to get to the ones in the middle. first take off the big one. if you start with the driver side there will be one on the right of the light. there are two on the left. there are two total for the other two lights. the only way to get the big one off is to loosen it almost all the way off.

be prepared with a 7/16 wrench and socket(you will need both) and it helps to have a deep well, but you don't have to. its about 2 hours of headache.

remember the key is to take off the radiator clips.

good luck,

josh.

Reply to
oneadvent

See if this helps at all. Your headlights shouldn't be significantly different than TFrog's. If it's any consolation, I was able to do the swap myself. Some of those nuts were a difficult reach (there's not a lot of room to work in), but it's manageable.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Ahhh... to late. I just posted my how-to article. Thanks though, Dwight!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

You went from "OMFG HELP!!!" to "I just posted my How To article" in three hours???

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No, it's was from HELP to a posted How-To Article in three hours. There was no cursing, only yawns.

Was it just three hours? Wow, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you're fully awake. But, yeah, it was a fairly simple job. And the results are amazing! Why anyone, myself included, would spend time polishing the old, yellowed lenses is now beyond me. From now on I'll say just replace them!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Because back when we did that the only place to buy replacements was from Ford and it was hella expensive.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The new ones I purchased have the Ford oval modeled into them. Is Ford allowing others to make and market them as a Ford part? If so, I wonder how these new lenses will hold up compared to the originals? Anyone know...? IMO, they have to use better materials/plastics than the originals.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I just put in Black projection headlights. They look awesome.

Theylooked terrible before I put the new ones in. I am very happy with thenew effect. I don't know why anyone put stock lights back in, when Igot these for 134 dollars on ebay. I got the whole headlight assemblywith it.

Josh

Reply to
oneadvent

Josh,

Some, myself included, would much rather have a car that looks stock but runs like a modified, than a car that looks modified but runs like it's stock. In other words, sleepers rule!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I will have you know, it is not stock. It has mac headers, lunati cam, a cold air induction in the fender well, 3 inch x pipe w/ 2 1/2 in tips, and 4.56 gears. I think that the headlights look like the headlight covers of the past. They are very visible at night, and come with a hookup for the missing fog lights(lx kit).

I think that it looks great, and does not advertise anything except the driver has class, pal.

Reply to
oneadvent

"oneadvent" wrote in news:1157567418.703976.49800 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Regardless of what's under the hood, those lights look like crap. Simply put, they advertise that you've got bad taste. Sure, it's an opinion, and it's as valid as yours or anyone else's. Another opinion - anybody who pays $134 for those gawdawful things (over double what I paid for brand new OEM stock lenses) has got rocks in his head. 2 cents.

Reply to
Joe

X2, er.. 4 cents :)

Reply to