How To: replace the headlight bulb on 95 mustang

Hi, I have a 95 Mustang GT and the driver side head light went out. I bought a new bulb (a L9007)...anyhow, how do I get the old one out? Behind the headlight there is a plastic ring, kind of like a nut, which I can turn counter-clockwise (from the point of view of the driver seat)..but it only turns about 1/4 - 1/2 of the way and that's it.

Any tips, info would help!

Also, about cleaning the headlights (they look cloudy)..can I just use Bon Ami or something on the outside of the plastic cover or do I need to clean inside where the bulb is?

Thanks!!!

Reply to
95_and_66

That's all the retaining ring turns. Simply withdraw the bulb assembly and retaining ring from the headlight housing.

Reply to
Richard

And, don't touch the new bulb with your fingers. Handle it with a Kleenex.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Avoid touching the bulb with your hands, the oils from your fingers can cause problems on some of them. As far as the "Ford Cataracts" the whole lens needs to be either refinished or replaced. If you use BonAmi on it, you will just make it worse, There are kits for refinishing your headlamps. SOme of the guys in here have used some and may have recommendations for you.

here is a quick example that came up on Google

Washing the inside of the lights is not advisable.

Kate

: That's all the retaining ring turns. Simply withdraw the bulb assembly and : retaining ring from the headlight housing. : : -- : Richard : : '94 GT 'vert : Under Drive Pulleys : Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit : High Stall Torque Converter : 4:10 Gears : Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded) : FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft : FRPP M5400-A Suspension : Laser Red : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Some of the guys in here have spent the damn $100.00 and replaced the front lights, instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a Saturday afternoon and a can of Bon Ami.

And if some of us can do it, anyone can.

That creeping glaucoma really cuts down on candlepower. I had no idea how bad my headlights were - I just knew they were bad, but when I swapped in the new ones, the difference was stunning. I could see again.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I've tried a few different things on the head lights of my T-Bird and got them better but not great, but then you still have all the stuff on the inside, which seems to be the worst of it. I say save up and get new ones they are not that expensive and you will appreciate them alot. Cobraboy '98 convert

Reply to
Cobra Boy

"dwight" wrote : Some of the guys in here have spent the damn $100.00 and replaced the front : lights, instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a Saturday afternoon : and a can of Bon Ami. : : And if some of us can do it, anyone can. : : That creeping glaucoma really cuts down on candlepower. I had no idea how : bad my headlights were - I just knew they were bad, but when I swapped in : the new ones, the difference was stunning. I could see again. : : dwight : :Shug was just starting to get the glazed look when I traded her in. I would have just replaced them after having gone through the whole refinishing trip on our last pickup.

It's a lot of work and it doesn't last BUT sometimes it's cheaper to waste a day than it is to buy new ones.

KJK

2O|||||||O5 Libby
Reply to
KJ.Kate