How to Rotate a Crankshaft

I have a 1972 Ford 351C and I need to retime the engine because I had to replace the distributor. To retime it, I need to rotate the crankshaft to the TDC mark on the damper. Stupid question - what's the best way to rotate the crankshaft to the TDC mark? Do you use the starter motor to try to "jump" it to the mark or is there any easier way?

Reply to
Joe

Use a breaker bar w/socket on the crank pulley bolt. It's a lot easier if you take the plugs out, but not a requirement. Using the starter method isn't precise enough, though you could try to get it near the mark that way and then manually line it up.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Remove #1 spark plug.... use a remote starter switch to bump the starter until you feel compression at the open spark plug hole (I stick my finger in there but watch out for the fan and the belt and such). Once you feel compression, you can bump the starter to get it close or simply use a socket and handle on the crank bolt.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The crank bolt is 15/16" Use a socket and a breaker bar. You can remove number one plug and rotate the engine until you feel compression coming out of that cylinder. Line up the timing marks, install the distributor. Most likely, the oil pump drive will not engage, so rotate the engine while slightly pressing down on the distributor until it engages into the oil pump drive and seats all the way. Next, rotate the engine until you are once again at TDC, compression for number one cylinder (may have to go two turns) . If you mark the distributor where number one plug is and align the rotor with that mark, it should be close enough to start. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE BREAKER BAR FROM THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START THE ENGINE. Do not ask me how I know this is important. Good Luck Bill

Reply to
Me