I bent my Wookie :(

Hi Folks, My '87 GT broke after I stopped to check the mail. I try to start it, it cranks but doesn't start. Then I notice I can't hear the fuel pump energize when I turn the key on. I checked the inertia switch to see if it had somehow popped but it seemed ok. I'm going back for it tomorrow. Any suggestions what I should look for? I'm thinking possibly a fuse or relay malfunction. Hopefully not the pump itself.

Reply to
Mark

Check the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat. See if it clicks when you turn on the ignition. They are oft known to up and die. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Where's the driver seat? Ok, I'll check it out, thank you.

Reply to
Mark

Update: I replaced the fuel pump relay because it was quick and easy. Turns out its the pump, doh! I tried connecting power directly to the pump to see if it would run and no go. I think I'll let the shop deal with this one. I have too many projects and don't feel like dealing with the fuel and such.

Reply to
Mark

Update 2: Well it turns out it's going to cost me over 300 to get it fixed at a shop so I'm going to tackle it myself.

Reply to
Mark

Its not that bad of a job. You might want to look into getting a better fuel pump though since you are gonna be doing it anyway(not BBK, they suck in my experience). If you are inclined it can be done in an hour. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning(for sale) '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

Mission complete! Not too bad. It's easier than replacing the sender in an earlier mustang where you have to drain the tank completely. It took about an hour.

Reply to
Mark

Good job!! Congrats. Erik D.

Reply to
Erik D.

Cool. You should put something up on the web for others tackling the job... anything in particular u should watch out for??

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

You may need a fuel line seperating tool. Empty the tank as much as possible. Raise the car as high as you can, unplug the pump/sender at the back of the tank, remove three screws at the filler cap, try and wrestle the filler out of the tank (not always easy), with a floorjack or something similer hold the tank up as you remove the strap nuts lower the tank until you can get to the fuel lines. They're either the clip style (easy, just pull the clip) or the type that needs a fuel line tool. Unplug the sender. The rest is self explanatory

Reply to
Mark C.