I dont know why my mustang smokes

Recently my 84 5.0 mustang has been pouring white smoke out of the tail pipes. It starts and runs fine but it started smoking recently. I noticed the smoke after driving it a couple days after I filled it with premium gas. Also I think my car burns oil. I use 5W30 motor oil and I was wondering if I should be using something different. I dont know if the smoke is related to the oil or not. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reply to
84_mustang_5.0

White smoke is usually a result of water. Have you checked your coolant to see if you're losing it? You could have a leaking or blown head gasket that is putting water into the combustion chamber. You may want to check your oil to see if it's milky. That would be from water getting into the oiling system, which could also be a symptom of a blown head gasket.

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

When I checked my oil the dipstick did look a little milky. How hard is it to replace my head gasket? Is it okay to drive my car the way it is? Thanks for your advice

Reply to
84_mustang_5.0

In article ,

84_mustang_5.0 wrote: '

It's not a big deal on ford small block, but I've only done the tear-down part to help a friend on a 289.

Over the internet it's hard to say. It's not good to drive the car if it is the head gasket, if it's minor enough all that will happen is the engine gets steam cleaned inside the cylinder(s), if it's bad major pieces break and take others with them.

Reply to
Brent P

If you're getting water into your oil, then it will have an effect on oil's primary job - lubricating the rotating parts. It could cause internal engine damage eventually.

As far as being hard to do, it depends on what you can do. Here's an article relative to the later fuel injected 5.0's:

may not be as bad since you don't have to worry aboutdepressurizing the fuel system, etc... You'll need to remove theintake manifold and heads to do it though (and everything thatattaches to them).

Steve E.

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I wondered the same thing about my teenage daughter. Fortunately, she gave it up when she got married.

Reply to
Spike

blue smoke is oil, white is coolant. 5W30 should work in most cars.

Reply to
Les Benn

5 is the low end temperature wont "fix" his problem.
Reply to
John