i need help with rockford amp

I have a Rockford Type RF 1 channel mono amp which puts out 1287 watts RMS. I have two alpine 15 inch 2 voice coil, 2 om subs which are rated 1000 watts RMS. i had this running last fall and it worked asome, then i took it out of my car for the winter and now that i have put it back in when i start and run the car the amp says there is an problem somewhere and does not power the subs. but if i turn the key back wards to just turn the stereo on it works fine. which is very strange. also if i diconect the rem wire and start the car and then reconnect the rem wire the amp turns on and works fine but if i turn the stereo up just above half for a few minutes the amp will shut off with the problem again. so whats happening?

Reply to
Joey Pankiw

Get a multimeter check, your rem is 12 volts when the key is in the on position. Try hooking up only one speaker, turn all your gain settings down and and test turning up your stereo past half. It sounds like your safety is kicking in cause your speakers are sending a distortion signal back to the amp telling it to shut down so they don't blow. Throughly check your wiring in the speaker box so that the dual voice coils are wired to give you a min of 2ohms. Also check your fuses. I hope this will give you some things to look for to narrow down the problem.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
SteveT