I played chicken with a kitchen table today and won!

So today I was driving down the freeway in my area... There was a car in front of me and I was preparing to make a lane change. I checked my left mirror and glanced in front of me again before checking my blind spot. The car previously in front of me was no longer in front of me... Now instead there was a VERY LARGE kitchen table upside down lying on the freeway! I didn't have time to check and see if there were cars to the left or right of me. So I couldn't swerve out of the way; I didn't want to cause a high speed nasty accident. I grabbed the wheel firmly and took my foot off the gas and kaboom I hit that kitchen table with everything I had. I immediately made sure no cars were in my way and flipped on the emergency flashers while pulling to the shoulder. I thought for sure my expensive ron davis aluminum radiator would be ruptured along with the ac condenser. Perhaps a dented up oil pan and destroyed front clip. To my surprise I simply had slashed up a tire and the front ground effects are cracked! NOTHING ELSE WAS DAMAGED! Wow I am so thankful I didn't get hurt, I didn't swerve into somebody and there was minimal damage. Discount Tire replaced my tire for free as I paid for the road hazard warranty when I bought my tires.

Crazy day.

I am just sad the front ground effects on my 88GT Convertible are cracked now :(

Drive safe and watch out for those damned kitchen tables.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Johnny K

Insurance should pay for it, shouldn't it?

Reply to
Mistercmk

Andy, are you also in the Phoenix area? I am so sick of people NOT SECURING THEIR DAMN CARGO! I'm sorry about your damage, but am glad you're ok. Stay safe!

Reply to
ih8tspam2

It's amazing how quickly things can change in front of you, isn't it? Truckers can't take their eyes off the road ahead, not even long enough to change lanes because SOMETHING will pop up while they have their head turned. Most in the Bay Area/CA actually use their radio to have the driver behind them spot the lane, so that they don't have to take their eyes off the buffoons in front. It's that bad.

This however, sounds like something stinky I pulled on a tailgater a few years ago. I was at the limit in the slow lane (70 mph.), and he was so close that he could not possibly see the road ahead. There was plenty of room to go around me, and I was in the slow lane, yet he persisted. While contemplating a brake job, I spied a 12x12" railroad tie laying across my lane ahead of me, but he was so busy sniffing my backside that he had no clue. This was going to be GOOD!

You can guess what happened next.

At the very last second and without tipping off ol' Fart-Sniffer, I jagged right, just barely missing this huge piece of timber, and of course, he slammed head-on into it. He hit it so hard that it broke his front/right wheel off, sending it flying into a field next to the freeway, and from what I saw, he lost his front facia, oil pan, and most likely, most of the suspension on the front right side.

I laughed so hard that it was difficult to maintain control of my own car, as I rolled merrily down the road. The wife 'thwacked' me a time or two, admonishing my juvenile behavior, but frankly, I loved it. Revenge for a Tailgater is a dish best served COLD.

Glad to hear neither you nor your car suffered much damage. Sometimes, you end up between a rock and a hard spot, and there isn't much you can do except look FAR, FAR AHEAD, and try to spot problems early. I will confer up on you the respect due someone who had the balls to HOLD THEIR LANE when things got hairy, and not make this someone else's problem. I've actually seen people run them self and others clear off the road after someone in front of them tosses a soda can out the window.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Yup this happened in the Chandler area. I was on the 101 northbound about a mile from the US60.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

So that's where my table went....

SOunds like you had good >So today I was driving down the freeway in my area... There was a car in

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy