I sat in a 2005, and now my wife and I are fighting.

I expected to be disappointed. I wasn't. They had a silver GT with the red seats on prominent display at Burge Ford in Santa Monica. I sat in that one first and, to be honest, it felt silly. Just overkill. But out on the lot they had a regular V6, black, with black leather inside. Something about the V6 in black. It's just really simple and elegant. I stared at it for ages. It looks great from every angle. I sat in it and just felt... well, I have a 68

289 at home and many times I"ve driven it and wondered what it felt like to drive when it was new. Not just because the car was new, what did it feel like to drive it BACK THEN, when that was the state of the art? Well, as I sat in the black V6 today, and felt the door go "Chunk" as I closed it, with the window ooching up to seal me in... it felt good.

I announced to my wife that I want it during dinner. She just chuckled, then looked at me and said "Oh my god, you're serious. You can't buy a Mustang. That's crazy." I just kept staring at her with the wild eyes, saying nothing. She is very upset. We stopped talking about it and she is processing it. I will bring it up again tomorrow. I will own that car.

Jesus, what's wrong with me?

LCK

louisck

Really? About 20 freinds, family and coworkers know I wwas after a Mustang: none of them found it crazy. Get the damn GT! Screw V6!

Solution: Buy car. Replace wife. :-)

You're married. :-D

Tend to avoid the situation myself. :-P

Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Not a thing, your approach may need a little fine tuning is all. Remember when you were courting her? It's kind of the same thing. Only THIS time, she's the wife and the Mustang is the 'Other Woman'

I suggest you commence to pour on the charm, flowers, baubles (not big things, little romantic gestures) you know, all that stuff to let her know she is number one and see if she doesn't soften a bit.

Unless of course you have been the one that got the last few BIG purchases. Then you're in deep trouble.

I don't think you should trade wife in on Mustang, Alimony payments go on a LOT longer than car payments and you can't get rid of an Ex like you can a car ;-D

Besides, cars have bug breath and look like they would be lousy kissers and bed hogs.

Kate PS: I agree, get a GT, same color scheme. If you're gonna be in the doghouse, you may as well be able to tuck your tail and run like heck!

Reply to
SVTKate

I say you tell her you accidentally joined a group of Mustang thugs and if you don't get the car (make it a GT) we will spread rumors about you over the Internet. Like you bought an SUV for that baby or something....yeah OK, I'm no comedian Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

SVTKate wrote:

Reply to
Gill

Not much. IMO the V6 looks better than the GT. If there was a time to bring back the LX now is that time.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Let me second that. I have an 89 LX 5.0 and probably will just keep fixing it rather than buying new for just this reason. Please save me from non-functional scoops, wings, ground effects and spoilers. With 200hp compared to my 5.0 230hp the V6 with a manual might be a great car. Question of course is susspension differences. On the fox body cars the 5.0 had a more performance oriented suspension. Is this true for the 2005+? Also if history is any indicator the V6 will not become a "collector" car and resale value will decline more rapidly than the V8.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

I dunno - you must be a newbie at this marriage thing.

A more experienced husband would have said "Honey, I'm buying a Corvette!" Then, when she's still screaming about that, say "OK, I'll compromise and settle for a Mustang."

:)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Looks like puppy love :)

Reply to
Mark

I see the initial practicality of purchasing a base Mustang. It would get better gas mileage and cost less to purchase. Beyond that, you can't really put a $ figure on happiness. And a V8 can bring a lot of happiness! I realize the V6 has more power this year than before. I realize and FULLY understand the kind of elegance you are talking about. Simplicity can be very good. Extra lines/scoops/indentions/fins/etc on a car can look cheesy. But I didn't see any of that when I looked at the red 2005 Mustang GT sitting in the showroom the other day. Compared to my 96 GT Convertible, the 2005 GT is ELEGANT EXTREME. Gone the fake intakes on top of my hood. Gone the fake intakes on the sides of the car in front of the rear wheels. Gone the plasticy interior that I really liked before I sat for a few minutes in the 2005. The inside of my car didn't feel cheap before. Now it does. Oh and that sweet, notchy new gear shift! Love it! Short throw! Yes! The ONLY thing so far I found I don't like about the 2005 GT is the damn headrests don't tilt like they do in my car. I can live with that, though, because they just happen to be in a set tilted-forward position that is perfect for my head and pretty much the degree of tilt I always have mine set at. Blah blah blah. Back to the V8 thing. You don't have to be a racer or someone who is power hungry. You can just be lazy like me. You can just love that feeling of not often having to worry about what gear you are in. Having power at your beck and call at pretty much any time is a very nice thing. There is an elegance in not having to wind out your engine and make tons of whiney-high-pitch noise to get acceleration, ya know? I love it that in traffic I can pull away from a light fairly strong without making a big racket about it. Kind of a show of effortlessness that appeals to me. Or being on the freeway in the fast lane and realizing I need to exit right away and dropping it down into 4th and suddenly RPMs spiking to 3500 or 4000 and having my body thrust back into the seat and the car leaping ahead to just the spot I need to be in. In many ways SAFER to drive if done with care, precision, and EYES WIDE OPEN. And yeah I realize I'm talking about a relatively SMALL V8 compared to the V8's Chevy makes. And my car, a pig of a Mustang, heavy as hell, and with the 215HP version... I am just drooling over the 2005 that puts out 300! I'm waiting on the Convertible GT coming out next year and I'm scooping that baby up the minute I can get my hands on one! And one last trip back to talking about the V8 vs. V6: Think Torque. You have the japanese competitors talking about their cars having more and more horsepower... some even in the upper 200's and I've driven some of those. My roommate has a Suburu WRX which puts out 225 HP. But people don't talk much about the torque rating. At least the Japanese auto-makers don't. Go drive a WRX and then drive a Mustang GT and you'll see why. Or what I should recommend, heh, if you haven't done it yet, is drive the V6 Mustang and then drive a GT. I think you will fall in love.

"louisck" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Scotter

Reply to
Canadian Musclecars

They put one inside? Why? It's harder to get out that way.

I haven't seen a red one yet though. The only two I saw were in passing at two different dealerships. One was white (eh, not my color) and the other the lighter metallic blue (also not thrilling). Show me one in blue, black, or even (dare I say) arrest-me red. I'll reserve judgement until then.

JS

Reply to
JS

The Tri-bar pony is an excellent idea!

Your whole idea seems to be sound. I'm hoping that Ford realizes that not everyone likes the GT's styling and offers the 4.6L (with or without GT interior appointments) in the base body package.... a la Fox-body LX 5.0.

JS

Reply to
JS

Yep, arrest me red. When the 99's came out, I bought one and got stopped several times for ummmm...ahhhhh...going a bit over the speed limit. Since I work for law enforcement, that HUGE star decal in the back window got me out of all of them. I don't drive that way anymore. I think half the time is was the L.E. decal in the back window and the other half it was them wanting to know the story about what my personalized plates mean. NA-P51D WW2 airplaned called mustang, the "D" model was the bubble top version. It was made by north american aviation, hince the "NA", or: NA (north american)- P51D (Mustang) Easy, once you think about it. About 2 months ago, I was in a Wendy's drive up window, and when I went to give the lady the money, she said the guy behind you wants to know what your license plate means. (He was in a Tarus SHO) LOL

Show me one in blue, black,

Reply to
p51d007

"JS" wrote in news:GrZhd.6499$o52.5549@trndny03:

I still have toruble understanding why people dont like the GT styling. Of course, i am a 69 Mach 1 fan. It looks almost exactly like a Mach 1 modernized.

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

Sometimes, simple is better. Less stuff to break, cleaner design, etc.

I haven't seen enough of them to know which one I like better, but I do wish they'd sell the stripper car like they did the LX. Just if they could put it on a huge diet and get rid of some of the power stuff. I'd take some NVH over weight. Remove the sound deadener under the carpet... non-powered cloth seats, etc.

JS

Reply to
JS