I saw the new GTO today

Well, on TV.

I couldn't believe it. It may have some horsepower, but it looks like a freaking Eclipse.

No Thanks, Pontiac.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

I saw one too... I didn't think it looked all that bad. Moves quick.

Reply to
memsetpc

Saw it at the NAIAS; blah - looks like a Grand Prix - too boring to be called GTO.

Reply to
Jim S.

There's a real GTO that's been at small repair shop I drive by on my way to work this week. Looks like a boring late 60s sedan with some badging and maybe something under the hood. Oh wait, that's what a GTO really is, a simple package of add ons and more guts than the standard tempest sendan :)

Seriously, an early pontiac GTO doesn't look like much of anything either. Just a boring sedan with some odd badges.

Reply to
Brent P

Unless they're a Judge, they aren't anything special to look at.

If you get a Buick, you'll only know what a GTO front looks like, but with the driver on the wrong side!? :)

Yeah... I was the guy at BOP who was taking photos and doing videos for people. [shrug]

Steve Race car on the way

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

If you walked walked out into a parking lot, and saw this new GTO, you wouldn't even notice it. I don't care how many hp it has, it's nothing special.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

That's good. Now I won't have to stop hating Pontiacs. Seriously, I can't imagine buying anything from them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

I'd like to own a late-model Trans Am =)

Reply to
memsetpc

I'd get the Camaro instead, just to not have a Pontiac

Chris

Reply to
Chris1

I'd get a WS-6 over an SS just because I never did care much for the newer styled Camaros. In the mid-80's up to the new body style, I'd take a Camaro over the Firebeast, but since the redesign, I'd so much rather have a Firebird....

Though a double-black SS with T-tops isn't so bad, the almost mineral gray WS-6 w/ black stripes up the ram air nose and rest of the body will win the looks category any day. I actually think that car looks more aggressive than my '97 snake.

Ran into an ex-girlfriend that moved to Texas a couple weeks ago. When she left, she had a '97 Firebird convertible, V6 auto. She comes back in an '02 WS-6 T-top 6-speed. Offers to let me take it for a spin. Prior commitments kept me from doing so.

Honestly, up until they decided that everything needed to have an ugly edge-styled design, I liked Pontiac over just about every other GM model there was.

Note that I don't have any of them though. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

So in the looks department, the new one is just like the original then.

Like someone else pointed out, the '64 GTO didn't really look much different than the rest of the 1964 cars. What made the '64 stand out was that it was a good performance car. Let's wait to see if the new GTO is a good performance car before we render final judgement...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Whatever.

Don't like the '04? Then wait until '07. That's when the next-generation GTO is expected to debut.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I never understood why anyone got excited about "goats".. (other than raw HP.)

ever since I was a kid, I thought a GTO looked like someone hopped up mom's grocery getter cuz that's all he had around.

(then again, same goes for the Buick Grand National )...

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

I've always loved cars that didn't look like much (other than personally liking their lines/looks), but ran strong.

That's one of the things I've always liked about the 5.0 Notchbacks. By today's performance standards they weren't much off the showroom floor, but there was a lot of room for improvement. Yet at the same time, they don't need all the spoilers, wings, ground effects, etc... They can run strong, but go mostly ignored by drivers.

Personally, I can live without the graphics of the GSX, Judge, W30, etc...

I prefer the subtlety of the standard body style, although I like the little hood scoops that let you know something could be happening that you don't know about.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve