### I tinted my plexiglass rear window ###

Hi All,

I have been getting a lot of interest in the rear window on my 65 fastback. It is a Shelby "R" style plexiglass rear window. When we first set the window on the car, we were not impressed with the stark appearance. All the other glass in the car had a bluegreen tint and the rear window did not look quite right.

I contacted a number of local window tinters and asked if they could tint plexiglass and the answer was always no. The film or liquid systems will not properly adhear to the plexiglass.

I was disapointed, but not detered.

We decided to tint the window ourselves. I cut out about 20 pieces of plexiglass and took them to my brothers body shop. After attempting

18 different formulations, we came up with somthing that actually has the apperance of tinted glass. The paint modifiers used help with both flexing and adhesion.

As far as the finished results, I have had a number of knowlegable hobbiests actually come up and ask where I got the "glass" "R" style window. When I tell them it is plexiglass, they say "your kidding" and actually have to touch it to make sure.

The window was tinted to match the bodycolor of the car and I guess I am just fortunate that when it was installed in the car, it matched the color of the other windows.

I am very happy with the results. I have a one of a kind rear window and one of a kind car.

Bob

65 Fastback
Reply to
Robert Julian Jr.

Yes, untinted plexi is pretty clear!

Plexiglas (one s) is one trade name for acrylic polymer. I don't know what chemicals are in paint modifiers, but acrylics don't get along with many types of chemicals and solvents. It may cause it to craze (small surface cracks) after time.

Acrylic is softer than glass and will scratch easy. Never use Windex and paper towels! wash grit off with water and use a plastic polish and cotton rag to clean - it will stay looking new. Good Luck!

Reply to
jriegle

SNIP...

The modifier used was one recommended for acrylic surfaces. It is interesting to note that MANY of the materials used in the construction of todays cars are in fact plastic of one type or another. A little reaserch and we found a modifier to improve adheasion and one that would allow for flex. OBTW, we use only PPG paint systems.

SNIP...

Yes maintaining it can be a problem. I am very gentle with it during a "wash cycle" :-) We just polished it up for the upcomming season and it came out great.

I saw in a magazine once where someone wrote a message (using their finger in the morning due) on one of these windows. I would have been a bit pissed if that message remained after I washed the car.

SNIP...

Thanks for the input.

Bob

65 Fastback